How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask NormanM Your Own Question

NormanM, Author, lecturer and psychotherapist.
Category: Parenting
Satisfied Customers: 2568
Experience:  ADHP(NC), DHP, ECP, UKCP Registered
Type Your Parenting Question Here...
NormanM is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son is 4 1/2. He recently has been acting up and got kicked

Customer Question

My son is 4 1/2. He recently has been acting up and got kicked out of daycare for bad behavior. His dad n I have joint legal n physical custody n I'm the custodial parent. His father got a new gr and moved in with her and her two older sons and this is when he started acting up is when he started going to the new place with all those changes. Can I keep him from going there? He also won't tell me me where he lives or report it. He also quit his job and quit paying child support
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  NormanM replied 3 years ago.
It is probable that your son is very anxious about his Dad not being there, and that is understandable. What he needs right now is lots of loves, cuddles and reassurance that his Dad still loves him, and that for grown up reasons, you and his Dad cannot be together. He also needs to be sure that you will never, ever abandoned him.

His reactions in school are most likely a reaction of anger to his perception of being abandoned by his father

It is essential that you do not run down his dad in front of him, or to friends when he is around, becaues he WILL pick up on it and lose trust.

The other side of the issue is more a legal than a relationship question, and you would be well advised to get legal advice on (a) how to get child support reinstated and (b) exactly what your rights are if you wish to restrict his access to his Dad, or his Dad´s access to him. It might also be worth discussing whether or his Dad´s place of residence is in fact a suitable place to visit.

If his father is not dealt with strictly, the situation could deteriorate. He has already "taken and inch" with the chilñd support issue -just make sure he cannot take a mile!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thats what im most afraid of is his fathers place he visits is not suitable to visit. His father has moved to e3 different places in a year whereas where i live, hes lived for 2 1/2 yrs just him, his brother and i. but this is all becoming a problem because hes being kicked out of daycare risking my employment.

Expert:  NormanM replied 3 years ago.
Ok. I think you need to explain to the daycare center the reasons for your son´s behavior, and explain to them that you are putting things into place to minimize the problem.

I suggest too that you contact your local social services/childcare department (sometimes called Health and Human Services.) and tell them about your concerns concerning the father´s living environment as well as taking the legal advice I suggested.

They may well also be able to help manage the behavioral issues, and speak on your behalf to the child care center.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

His father has now made a false claim to cops that i beat my child. He said my son also said it. This is the second time he tried to get my son to lie. The officer told me when he looked and took pictures that there was no marks or evidence on his body. This issue with his father is not deteriorating. Im gonna bring this up to his therapist but what are my options here.

Expert:  NormanM replied 3 years ago.
Sorry, can you clarify something for me - you said you are going to bring this up with his therapist. Can you give me a bit of background on this, please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Bring up the issue that his father is claiming tjat i hit himeven though theres no evidence. Maybe the therapist can get out of my son what is going on and why he said that. His dad manipulates his head to try and get him to lie. Not hard with a four yr old. i worry for my sons safetyat his dads house and would like to keep him with me till his dad brings me to court.

Expert:  NormanM replied 3 years ago.

I think that you MUST discuss this with your therapist. Secondly, can you make sure that you take some photos with the camera showing date and time before each visit to his Dad, so that you have ongoing concrete evidence.


Also, check with your legal advisor as to your rights as custodial parent, and explain to him or her your fears about the little one visiting his Dad. Perhaps his Dad´s access can be limited to your home.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther Woodstock, NY
  • Thank you so much for taking your time and knowledge to support my concerns. Not only did you answer my questions, you even took it a step further with replying with more pertinent information I needed to know. Robin Elkton, Maryland
  • He answered my question promptly and gave me accurate, detailed information. If all of your experts are half as good, you have a great thing going here. Diane Dallas, TX

Meet The Experts:

  • Rafael M.T.Therapist

    Rafael M.T.Therapist

    Family Counselor

    Satisfied Customers:

    MHT-MHRS-MS-MA Integral Psychotherapist & Life Coach
< Last | Next >
  • Rafael M.T.Therapist's Avatar

    Rafael M.T.Therapist

    Family Counselor

    Satisfied Customers:

    MHT-MHRS-MS-MA Integral Psychotherapist & Life Coach
  • Cher's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Extensive Experience working with Children/Teens; M.A. Teacher/Tutor 40+ yrs.; Parent of 2
  • Jennifer's Avatar


    School Psychologist

    Satisfied Customers:

    Collaborative parent consultation on everything from modifying behavior to child development.
  • professional_Alison's Avatar


    Child Care

    Satisfied Customers:

    Degree in early years,16 years experience in childcare
  • Dr. L's Avatar

    Dr. L


    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed as psychologist and marriage and family therapist
  • Dr. Shirley Schaye's Avatar

    Dr. Shirley Schaye


    Satisfied Customers:

    PhD-Psych; Certif. Psychoanalyst NPAP& NYFS; Memb.APsaA;IPA; Pub.Author; Teach/Supervise Therapy
  • Eveningstargazer's Avatar


    Family Counselor

    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (LMFT)

Related Parenting Questions