llw26, Psychology Doctoral Student
Experience:  I have worked with children over the last 6 years ranging from severe emotional problems to daily living problems.

I need help creating a bedtime routine for my 4 year old daughter

I need help creating a bedtime routine for my 4 year old daughter and 6 year old son.

llw26 :

Hello! I hope I can assist you! First, I have a quick question -- what have you tried already?

Customer: Not much of anything. I don't know how to approach it.
llw26 :

Okay, then we can start from the basics! That helps. Right now, what do you do before bed? Do the kids go to bed at the same time?

Customer: I usually give them a bath, let them watch a half hour of TV (sometimes), and finally read books.
Customer: I try to get them to bed together but it is almost always a major challenge.
llw26 :

Yes, that sounds like a good routine you tried. What is the major challenge you face when trying to do this?

Customer: He fights me to do everything.
llw26 : When you say fight do you mean like throw a tantrum? What sets off the tantrum -- does he not want to sleep?