Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.

How can I reach my son ?

Customer Question

How can I reach my son ?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Elliott, LPCC, NCC replied 11 months ago.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Seeking expert testimony is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Dear friend,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I believe that I can help.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Your son is part of modern youth culture, and unfortunately there are many like him.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

He does enjoy life, but on his terms, and on the terms that he is offered in this society.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I don't care for it any more than you do.

Customer:

I would tend to agree. He is really a great kid. We unfortunately have spoiled him and he believes life should be perfect. He has lost two grandparents in the past year and his first cousin is suffering from lukemia.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Accept and love him for who he is. He will tire of it and grow out of it.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

He is happy. Just love him. You are pushing him away by trying to judge him and make him be something that he is not.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Change the society and you will change him.

Customer:

Interesting. Should I try to promote social interaction ?

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

How do you do that? I think that this current society will have to run its course and burn itself out because when everyone is immersed in it then it is impossible to escape.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You should promote as much social interaction as possible.

Customer:

What about limits on games, etc ? Should I just let him go or limit the activity ?

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

If you can afford it, take him on a long vacation to a foreign land, not another Western country.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

If you can impose limits, then you should, but discuss is with him so he feels that he is part of the decision making process.

Customer:

We went to the Manilla dump two years ago for 14 days, it did change him but he went back to the behaviors. Ok thank you for the insight, we will try to love more and be patient.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You are very welcome. I shall keep you in my prayers. Warm regards, XXXXX NCC, CCMHJC

Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience: 35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.