Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
40019946

I am 63 years old and need a new hip replacement. My granddaughter

I am 63 years old and need a new hip replacement. My granddaughter lives with us. She is 2 1/2 yrs old. I have difficulty picking her up.I always pick her up pick her up so that she stops fussing and goes with me. It seems like she is in the terrible two's. I know that I need to stop giving in when she fusses. Right now I'm so sore I can hardly walk at all. Please teach an old dog a new trick

Hello, I'm a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. Please let me know and I will assist further. Thank you!

Best,

Angela

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sure I'll wait. Thanks

Thank you for your patience while we continue to search for a professional to assist you.

Seeking expert testimony is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Dear frustrated grandparent,

This is a good time to teach them not to whine and fuss. It is alright for her to want to be with her beloved grandmother, but you must tell her that she can sit next to you or stand next to you but you cannot pick her up because your leg hurts and you need to get it fixed.

Before you even recognize what she is saying, however, you must train her to stop whining.

Say to her something to this effect: "I cannot understand your whiney voice. Please speak to me like a big girl."

If you have a wheel chair or rolling desk chair you will be closer to her height and could be more accessible to her and she to you. This is another option to consider. You can rent them inexpensively or buy them at a Goodwill store for a few dollars.

I hope that these suggestions help.

Warm regards,

Elliott, MAE, LPCC, NCC, CCMHC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience: 35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.