Rafael M.T.Therapist
Rafael M.T.Therapist, Family Counselor
Experience:  MHT-MHRS-MS-MA Integral Psychotherapist & Life Coach

I need to give my friend advice about his 11 year old son:

I need to give my friend advice about his 11 year old son: My friend found a self shot penis photo of his sons;; own penis on the iphone stream of photos ...nothing else odd but that one photo in the stream...What should be done next as the parent?

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Hello, I am Rafael. Thanks for asking your question - I'm here to support you. (Information posted here is not private or confidential but public).

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Thank you for asking this question. the scenario you described is a very common one, and very normal for sure, since it shows normal exploratory behavior of a child his age. From beholding their own nudity to touching and wondering about sex and adult relationships, these are all normal and natural behaviors which require to be guided by assertive and healthy parental and educational staff support.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Sexual education should start from infancy, since we are sexual beings from the moment we are conceived, and in unique and different ways we all experience this core dimension, which does shape our sense of self-worthiness, esteem and confidence, coping and personality, and from there our relationships and everything else in our lives. This is why healthy and adequate sexual education is so important, and situations like this are unique chances for parents to work on improving their communication, intimacy, understanding and sharing with their children.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Both parents need to play this role. The last thing I would suggest is for a parent to create or reinforce identification of sexuality with sinfulness, since that would become the very core of sexual, personality and mental health dysfunctions, and any parent who truly cares about their children, and loves them in healthy ways, would never do anything to damage or to create extra pain in their lives.

Thank you for the insight. I susepcted that but it is better to hear it from a professional.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Based on this it is important for parents to educate themselves about sexual education and healthy parenting, since it is from there that we could raise our children in healthy and constructive ways. There are many good books that could help, and I would like to mention a few titles that could help.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

You're very welcome. Let me share the books name for your reference. Thank you for your trust.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Let's Talk About Sex, Asking About Sex and Growing Up, and Sex, Puberty, and All That Stuff.