Bonnie, Psychologist
Experience:  and pediatric nurse practitioner with 30 years of experience counseling parents.

17 year old daughter has gotten angry and hit me (mother) when

Customer Question

17 year old daughter has gotten angry and hit me (mother) when she didn't get what she wanted. Not sure what next step should be. Tired of repeating cycle, not following through on consequences. Any advice truly appreciated and needed.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Bonnie replied 3 years ago.

Hello and thank you for consulting JA,

I am so sorry that it has taken so long for you to get an answer. When a person (nearly an adult) is physically aggressive it calls for drastic action to get the message across that it will not be tolerated (and is illegal). The tough love way to deal with it is to call the police and press assault and battery charges. Then, let the courts do the disciplining.

Another, firm but gentle way to handle it, is to have her committed to a mental health unit for a few days. If she is taken to a behavioral health hospital for an evaluation after or during one of these aggressive episodes, they will admit her for evaluation. Then, follow up outpatient services will be recommended to teach her to deal with this dangerous aggression. It just cannot be tolerated.

I hope these thoughts will be helpful,

Warm regards,