Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
40019946

I have a 3 turning 4 in 2 months year old daughter which Im

I have a 3 turning 4 in 2 months year old daughter which I'm worried a about a couple of things. 1) her speech development- other kids I notice speak clearly where my little girl sometimes I can't understand her 2) really shy - during a kids party today she was the only one who wanted to play by herself and did not want to get involved at all. Then on the way home she got upset because she didn't give her friend her present and wanted to get her another one 3) taking things in- also at the party there was a game of pick out the animal sounds and she didn't get the game while the other kids get it straight away, at home she also needs time to figure it, she does eventually but it takes a while. Your advice on what to do, who to see would greatly be appreciated

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Seeking expert testimony is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Dear friend,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I believe that I can help.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I understand your concern for your daughter and your need for understanding and resolution.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Some children do learn and develop at a slower or faster rate than others, especially socially.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

On the other hand this could mean some developmental problems. I

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I would like to ask a few questions.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Does your daughter have an aversion to making eye contact?

Customer: Yes she does
Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Does she engage in some sort of repetitive motion (such as rocking or hand flapping, etc.)?

Customer: No she will just avert away and bury her head in me
Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Has she had any traumatic experiences, physical or emotional?

Customer: Not at all
Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Does she engage in any rigid performance or rituals or routines that don't appear to have a function?

Customer: She does have a lot of nightmares which is another concern
Customer: No
Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Is he persistently absorbed with parts of objects?

Customer: No I don't think so
Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Does she like to share interests, achievements or pleasures with others?

Customer: Yes she does :)
Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

With her peers?

Customer: Sort of. Example: she took her lion toy to show a friend , she shows it but doesn't say anything. Also when she starts daycare she is shy - all the time, but when it's time to pick her she is playing an happy.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Do you think that she is overly attached to you?

Customer: She may be. We don't have a big family, so other than daycare it's mum, dad and grandparents who she spends most of her time with
Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Intellectually (not socially) is she up to par with her peers? Is she artistic?

Customer: Very artistic , it's all over my fridge
Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

And intellectually?

Customer: She can figure things out, but comparing it with other kids it seems to take her longer.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

She may have a mild pervasive developmental order, most likely a mild case of Asperger's Disorder. This is at the very high end of the autism spectrum disorder and is considered separately.

Customer: What should I do now?
Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

The reason I say this is because of her delay in social development, he withdrawal from others in some social situations, and her aversion to eye contact.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Furthermore, many with AD (affectionately called Aspies) are very artistic, and some are prone to bad dreams.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I would take her to a child developmental specialist or child psychiatrist or child psychologist for an assessment.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

She can live a pretty normal life and will not require medications. There are behavioural interventions and ways of arranging things in her home and room that can help her.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Most schools have programs for these children as well.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I have worked with several people who have this disorder, and it is often hard to see, other than a form of shyness and slightly odd behaviour at times. They can have a lack of social and emotional reciprocity.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I would seek a diagnosis first of all.

Customer: Could it be genetic, my partner was similar but not diagnosed. He believes it was changing schools often. And if it is, what things can be done to help?
Customer: Scratch last question I didn't scroll to the bottom
Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Let me recommend a few books anyhow.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

From Collins Books

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Asperger's Syndrome

A Guide to Helping Your Child Thrive at Home and at School

by Melinda Docter Ed.D. & Syed Naqvi MD

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

and also

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Asperger's Syndrome

A Guide for Parents and Professionals

by Anthony Attwood

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

These are the best books available.

Customer: Thank you so much, I will see someone and see where it goes from there
Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Get the diagnosis first to make sure there is nothing else going on. I believe however that she meets enough criteria to warrant attention and a face-to-face evaluaion.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

evaluation.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I shall keep you in my prayers. You are most welcome.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Warm regards,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Elliott, MAE, LPCC, NCC, CCMHC