Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.

Hi, my 18 mo old us about to start daycare in a month. We

Customer Question

Hi, my 18 mo old us about to start daycare in a month. We are a bilingual family, but speak only German at home. He understands German very well, and can repeat a lot of words and even puts two words together. Now, he is starting a regular American daycare and I am concerned that he will be confused and stop talking altogether, and that eventually he will lose German completely. At the same time, I want to ease his transition and wondering what the best approach is for him to ultimately speak both languages fluently. As of right now he understands 0 English. (We do not watch TV). I am starting to teach him colors, numbers and letters now. Shall I do it in English instead? These are the skulls he will need for school, so I am wondering if I should be doing both. Same thing with books, we are reading German books, and I even translate English books for him, but shall I be doing it in both languages? I am thinking of maybe just taking him to a local Barnes and Noble once a week for a story time and read to him in our native language at night. What is your professional opinion?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Elliott, LPCC, NCC replied 11 months ago.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Seeking expert testimony is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Dear parents,

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hello?
Can you see my answers?

I believe there has been a technical glitch.

Speak to him in German as much as you like. He will learn English in school. He will NOT confuse the two languages. This happens all the time and will be a great blessing to him and to you and will help him in his life.

Take adantage of this and give him a bilingual upbringing.

Warm regards,

Elliott, MAE, LPCC, NCC, CCMHC
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Yes. Agree. But do you think there is a benefit of starting a daycare at 18 mo (I am talking about a high quality daycare with small classes and high emphasis on education and socialization)? Will he get confused? Will he stop talking altogether? Also, I teach him shapes and numbers and cord, but I do it in German. Shall I do it in English now since he will be learning that in school now? Is there a benefit of exposing him to both languages now? I stay home and I can just keep entertaining him at home and keeping him in just one language environment (German) to endure he learns it well, and then start him in scho when he has to (at 5?) and them let him learn English. Some people advise that, they say this way he will learn German really well (can learn how to read and write etc On the other hand, I am thinking I can send him to this daycare (more like preschool ) sheets he can learn English for the first half of thd day (only from 9-12 twice a week) and I can continue readi g and talking German with him and maybe teaching stuff related to school on English? Please advise what the best way is.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
One more question: he seems to enjoy "learning" shall I teach shapes, colors, numbers and letters in English or German?
Both.

That is etc.

Das ist etc.

He will sort it out. He will be fluent in both languages and will know when to use the correct one.

Warm regards,

Elliott
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Oh! You mean both languages together? Or one day we learn numbers in German and next in English? How about story time? One book in German one book in English? Good plan? Or keep it to German?
Your choice. If you are more proficient in German then stick to German. Let him watch a few (JUST A FEW) children's TV shows.

You can also supplement this with shows for kids in German at:

http://www.kika.de/

Elliott