Dr. Paige
Dr. Paige, Psychologist
Experience:  Psychologist; Parent
15718554

My ex-wife gifted our 14 year old daughter a pocket knife...

My ex-wife gifted our 14 year old daughter a pocket knife... not a swiss army multi-tool type, but a button-activated pocket knife that is widely regarded more as a self-defense weapon than a domestic tool. My daughter carries it around and this makes me very uncomfortable. Although legal in my state, I want to know if I have a case and valid argument to force my ex-wife to take back the knife. We share custody, 50% each.
Hello.I am not a lawyer and you may want to consult with one on this website, but if you are certain the knife is legal and she does nothing illegal with it, such as carrying it on school property, etc. I do not believe that you have a case as far as custody goes. If you say it is a self defense weapon, then your ex would have just as much as an argument that she is trying to keep your daughter safe. It could be looked at as a similar situation as carrying pepper spray or taking a self defense course such as karate. With all of the news lately being about kidnapping of young girls, she may have a better case than you do if you choose to stir things up. You should speak with your ex and decide if there is something that would make you more comfortable than a knife, but still keep her safe, such as the pepper spray I mentioned earlier and have a conversation about this and maybe a compromise can be reached regarding her safety and your comfort level.