Bonnie, Psychologist
Experience:  and pediatric nurse practitioner with 30 years of experience counseling parents.

I have a 20 month old grandaughter who is asian...when we are

I have a 20 month old grandaughter who is asian...when we are at functions she will go to anyone who looks like her and push me (white)daughter says
she will outgrow it..but it hurts and I hate the comments from the asian relatives.."she still doesnt like you?" What should I do?
Hello and thank you for consulting JA,
Children this age are able to discriminate familiar from unfamiliar. I can only assume she is more familiar with the Asian face (like her dad's) and that she sees Asian face more often than Caucasian face. Your daughter is correct that she will gradually accept the unfamiliar face too......but in the meantime, it would be best for you and granddaughter to have some quality time together. Do not be intrusive but when she is in her best mood (not tired or hungry) engage is a fun activity together with mother close by (and no one else). Suggested activities: build a tower with blocks and knock it down and laugh; do simple infant puzzles together; make marks on paper with crayons; Toddlers have a short attention span so only expect 10 minute sessions and then a break. After a few of these play sessions alone with you, she will associate your face with fun and happy times.

I hope this helps....
Warm regards