Bonnie
Bonnie, Psychologist
Experience:  and pediatric nurse practitioner with 30 years of experience counseling parents.
37122071

Hello, the end of last school year, my 11 year old daughter

the end of last school year, my 11 year old daughter had been humiliated (in her opinion) by the other 8 kids in her class. (private catholic school). One of the other girls told all of the other children that my daughter said a curse word. They teased her relentlessly and when she got home she was sobbing so much she couldn't catch her breath.

I spoke with the principal and being that it was the last few days of school, I really felt that the principal really didn't put much validity or worth in the issue. I felt like they just think I'm the "overprotective" mother.

I let the principal know that I will not send her back there next year. I have to go to the school soon and pick up her transcripts and I want to let the principal know that I had found a suicide note recently, dated that very day of this incident. Fortunately, I think my daughter was just venting in this letter, and did not attempt anything. I just think the principal should know, so in the future, they can take these types of incidences more seriously.
I guess I'm just looking for words or suggestions on how I should approach the principal about it. Or, should I even bother? Thank You
Hello and thank you for consulting JA,
If you do a internet search you will find much information about bullying. Many sites recommend filing a complaint with the school and demanding an investigation of the incident. The final outcome is that the school implement an anti-bullying plan.

You might want file a complaint even though your child is not going back there. Put "letter to principal about bullying" in a search and many examples can be found.

If you just want to provide information to the principle, it should include two points: that it is the schools responsibility to keep children safe, make sure they feel comfortable in this safe environment and to create an optimal learning space; the second point, explain that your child does not feel safe there and was so affected by the bullying that her thoughts turned to not wanting to be alive. You may add that you hope future complaints of bullying be investigated and are dealt with appropriately.

I hope this helps,
Warm regards