Bonnie, Psychologist
Experience:  and pediatric nurse practitioner with 30 years of experience counseling parents.

My son had been improving during the night and last night he

My son had been improving during the night and last night he reverted back to his night time tantrum. Last night before bed he informed me that he wanted the night light left off so he could cry later. At 4AM we did wake up to him screaming and pounding on the door. He was also shaking and saying the blank cable outlet on wall was a monster. Is letting him work it on his own still the answer when he genuinely does seem scared of something.
Hello and thank you for consulting JA,
I am sorry you are having this frustration with sons behavior. You seem to be handling it great and the backslide in not unusual when you are working on something. I agree with letting him work it out but with a slight variation to your plan. Do go in to his room and help him return to bed. I do not see anything wrong with leaving a night light on. Shadows do play tricks with our eyes at night. Then, let him cry it out.

I hope this helps,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I agree, he does go to sleep with the night light on dimmed down. We respond to his initial cry, assure him we understand his feelings but there is nothing to be afraid of, offer love and support and then return to our bed. He wakes in the morning happy and cheerful. As any parent, I just wanted to make sure we weren't causing any additional issues or emotional damage.

We are trying to keep he and his twin sister sleeping in their respective rooms but it has been difficult with the tantrums being so convincing. His sister has always slept well in her own room.

You are doing great! Just keep at will pay off in the end. You can try a reward system with both children. Get a special bag to be hung near bed. If they stay in room all night a treat will be in the bag.....just a trinket of some sort. I would not "lock them in room" but okay to use a gate that he can see through but not remove.