professional_Alison, Child Care
Experience:  Degree in early years,16 years experience in childcare

I have a son that is very adventure motivated..loves to play

Customer Question

I have a son that is very adventure motivated..loves to play and explore...he loves baby powder..oves to shake it around put it on the floor put it on the animals and one day it was all over my office and blown everywhere he put it in/near fan of swamp cooler..although I scold him he seems to think i am not serious and i am just over exxagerating about it being bad for his lungs...can you help me with some research on why this is bad? so I can share it with him...I have a large container of diatomaceous earth that I have not unpacked for two weeks in my car...because it has same consistency as powder...and I have read harmful as asbestos when inhaled.
I am working on trying to give him extra attention because he likes to taunt his brothers...I noticed extra love and attention has helped with the taunting....but the baby powder thing.....I need to make sure to nip in the but...I was wondering if I should by play sand...maybe he likes the texture.....
Just a mom trying to do my best and make sure my children suceed
Category: Parenting
Expert:  professional_Alison replied 3 years ago.

professional_Alison : Hello there, may I help you?how old is your son please?
professional_Alison : Here is an article with information about the dangers of talcum powder when inhaled.
professional_Alison : It may be that your son likes messy items, so providing opportunities for messy play may stop him playing with dangerous things such as talcum powder. Try sand, water, play dough, even jelly, spaghetti or corn flour mixed with water as play activities. These will aliw his to explore and express himself through messy play.
professional_Alison : Do let me know if I can assist you further.
JACUSTOMER-b0a3nc36- :

thx he is 10 yrs old...yes we made silly slime for his 5th grade demonstration speech. We need to start doing more fun things like that u recommend a chores chart or family chart to get on schedule to plan those activities....what is the best way for me to get organized, what type of calendar do u use youself?

professional_Alison : Perhaps plan one evening afterschool as a messy activity night and one activity to do together as a family at the weekend such as cooking, swimming or bowling. If you have more time you can fit more in but if you have set times he knows is quality messy fun time and family time it gives him something to look forward to. Plan certain days to complete jobs which will enable you to have time for your children. It is fine to get him involved in chores too, helping to develop asense of responsibility, wash the car for example, water the garden, help make dinner, these are all quite fun things which will help you and give him a sense of achievement.