proexpert37
proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor

Is it a good idea to homeschool a 14 yr old boy with classroom

Customer Question

Is it a good idea to homeschool a 14 yr old boy with classroom distraction problems?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 12 months ago.
Hello and Thank You for using Just Answer. If you believe that your son has problems focusing, you may want to have your son evaluated by his pediatrician first and then by a psychologist. If your son is diagnosed by a medical professional and has ADD/ADHD or other learning problems, a regular public school environment may offer your son special services and provide modifications and accommodations to assist in your sons academic progress. If your son is not diagnosed with any disability, then home schooling may be a good option. The choice to homeschool a child is a very personal decision. Factoring in distraction problems must be carefully thought about and discussed with all parties involved.

If you need further assistance, please feel free to continue asking more questions for further clarification. Thank you for your time and have an awesome evening.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

I do not want him ostracized, making it more difficult for him socially. That is how I see the public school modification. It has been confirmed by teachers that he is "chatty" and often distracted by other students, and sometimes distracting other students. None of the "complaining" teachers have suggested that he see the school counselor for further evaluation for ADD/ADHD. Rather the teachers have been very supportive, since he is a very bright student. We came to the conclusion that he is slightly more immature than his peers. He has difficulty making friends for that reason. I want to give him an opportunity to "settle" into his age and still progress academically.

He has been seen by his pediatrician, regularly, and no psychological problems were ever noted on a regular routine visit.

With this additional information, what are your thoughts? I want him to have a quality education, but not at he expense of his self esteem, if that makes sense. Thank you so much for your time.

Hello... A couple of quick questions...

Who would homeschool your son?
How does he feel about being homeschooled?
Is your son involved in sports or other activities?

Thanks.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

We have in our state WAVA, online classes. I have an ad running for an experienced learning coach to help keep him motivated. The state provides areas for extra curricular activities, and yes he enjoys sports and choir etc. I donot plan to restrict his social activities. He is not happy about being home schooled, because he is very social and want to be in and about with the other students in a classroom atmosphere and social activities. However, he is well behaved and not belligerent about it, since he understands our motive, in wanting a quieter and calmer atmosphere for his learning. We/teachers just can't seem to get him to stop talking and playing around. Since there is nothing malicious going on, there is no punishment. Good Lord, we are at our wits end to get the talking and playing around stopped and thought the seclusion of home school would benefit him as well as the other students and teachers who are being affected by it.

Hello...as a teacher myself and a parent of an ADD student, I do believe one on one assistance with a learning coach as well as the online instruction would be a very beneficial route to take. If it does not work out, then at least you tried and will then investigate other alternatives.

However, there are more and more online home schooling (public) opportunities popping up and I have heard very positive comments about them with many of the books, resources, etc. being absolutely free.

Middle school and high school are full of distractions these days. Your son sounds very intelligent as well as obedient and sounds like a really motivated student. So an online experience may be the wisest choice so that your son can continue to excel academically and receive individualized attention.

Please do feel free to continue our discussion if needed. I am here to assist you until you are completely satisfied .

Enjoy the weekend with your family!!!