empathy-reborn, Child Care
Experience:  L3 in CCLD. Acted as a SENCo. Voluntary Exp with Young People of all ages

I am considering sending my 8yr old daughter to junior boarding

I am considering sending my 8yr old daughter to junior boarding school from next year. We live in cape town and the nearest school offering this facility for grade 3 is in Grahamstown. I am very happy with the school and believe it to be a wonderful opportunity for her academically.

What I would like to know is what about her emotional development in a boarding school and how we would work with her possible feelings if abandonment etc..

What other issues should we be aware of and how best to deal with them in advance.

Also why is it that junior boarding facilities are so few and far between in South Africa.

What age should children, girls, be when send to boarding school successfully?

Many thanks

empathy-reborn :

When choosing to send a child to boarding school, you should be very careful. Make sure your child is involved in both choosing the school and the application process. If you get a child involved it gives them a sense of pride and responsibility in making their own decisions. This in turn is a positive outcome for them in choosing their future. Find out what they want to do so that school can honour their career path. I would suggest children aged 7+ would be good for this situation. With regard to emotional development. Providing you ensure frequent contact through telephone, email, or writing letters they will not feel abandoned. Also planned visiting is another positive outcome.

empathy-reborn :

If you need more assistance, feel free to ask me another question.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

is my daughters biological father able to prevent my decision to send her to boarding school if her choses to?

I was awarded sole custody and care of our daughter in our divorce settlement 9 yrs ago and he has had no involvement apart from holiday visitation.

he currently pays a third of the maintenance he should and nothing furher.

If you have sole custody, then he has no rights in telling you how to care for your daughter.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes, however sole custody no longer exists I have been told and has been replaced with 'co guardianship' of the minor child.

to what extent does this guardianship allow him to influence decisions?

are you equipped to answer this or should I refer to family la?

I think this needs to be set as a new question so someone with more expertise in family law can help. I'm sorry I can't be of assistance.
Hi Mrs Dewing

I just wanted to check in to see how things are progressing since our last conversations.

Yours sincerely,

Thomas Constable.