Jen Helant
Jen Helant, Child Care
Experience:  I have my bachelors degree in psychology. I worked with children. Since then I have raised and still raising 3 wonderful boys.

Is it ok to make your teenager walk to work 1.5 miles?

Customer Question

Category: Parenting
Expert:  Jen Helant replied 3 years ago.

jenhelant : Hi, Thank you for your question. I understand where you are coming from and why you would be concerned. There may be different views on this. As for my opinion I am always in agreement with teaching responsibility as well as being safe. In this day and age I too would be worried about my children even as teenagers. I would definitely not feel comfortable with my daughter walking home from work at that time. In my opinion I would teach responsibility in other ways and the fact that she is a teenager and working already shows that she is being responsible, so I would not mind picking her up in order to help out and keep her safe. As for going to work depending the season I may bring her or allow her to walk. This depends on the weather, the season and whether or not it is dark at that time, as well as if it is a quiet street she needs to walk or busier where there would be people around. I would take all these things into consideration. Overall she is still a teenager and if she is working and going to school I would not feel the need to make it even more difficult for her. I would be proud and in this case help bring her and pick her up as long as I am physically and financially able to. I hope this helped, but feel free to respond if I can help any further. I wish you the best.