RealSupport
RealSupport, Family Counselor
Experience:  MHT-MHRS-MS-MA Integral Psychotherapist & Life Coach
65591635

Our 15 year old son has gone through a period that he does

Our 15 year old son has gone through a period that he does not want to talk and is mad at both my husband and myself. He is normally a very communicative boy that is very close to his family. He does well at school and has a good group of friends. He is not socializing and appears to be depressed. I had an appointment set up with him and then he seemed better and I asked him if he was feeling better and we decided to cancel it.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Hello, I am Rafael. Thanks for asking your question - I'm here to support you. (Information posted here is not private or confidential but public).

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

I am very sorry to know about your son's situation.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

It seems truly concerning since he used to be communicative, social and have a good relationship with both of you, and now he is not like that at all. For sure something serious could have happened leading to this radical changes in his personality, mood and behavior.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Unhappily it is obvious he has not been that open about some areas of his personal life and that's why you do not know what has happened for him to feel this way. Sure, it seems that he is depressed based on your description and your decision to get professional psychological support wise and necessary. Now it is very concerning that he has cancelled the appointment. He is still a minor thus depends on you and his current mental health and well-being are obviously undermined, and the same way we all need medical support when with a physical health problem, it's essential to get sound professional support when our mental health is undermined by any life issue.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Please work with your husband on getting him to be evaluated and receives necessary psychotherapeutic support as soon as possible, since time would only deepen and worsen the symptoms and the issues behind them, making them more unmanageable, and his chances for rehabilitation lower too. You need to identify if this has been caused or triggered by a health problem, an issue at school, from relationships, drug use or any other issue, and you as parents should play an active role in this process, where adequate treatment should be planned and consistently implemented. The professional you need is a child psychotherapist with expertise in mood and behavioral problems. I'd say that a marriage and family therapist could support you very well too. Does it make sense?

Rafael M.T.Therapist says:
6/28/13 3:49 PM

6/28/13 3:50 PM

6/28/13 3:52 PM

6/28/13 3:58 PM

6/28/13 4:05 PM

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes we have had 3 appointments with a therapist He took Alot of time having us spend 3 hours with my husband and I filling out information And Max spent 2 ir hours in total. We started with a vitamin routine and that didn't seem like enough The dr put him on amNlr drug and Max hated the way he felt After 1 dAy. He told us Max has an underlying more serious mental health issue looming .... This has upset us more than words Can say. Max has improved but with this diagnosis it has Really upset us. We are continuing to see a dr. Once a month for now as Max has improved a lot but are very pset to think he may be getting ready for some bigger mental health issue. Thank you Rafael!
You're very welcome. i truly hope further improvements develop with thr right support he needs and deserves. Thank you for your trust.