Dr. G.
Dr. G., Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist in the state of Minnesota

Having an issue concerning my sons study habits. He is doing

Having an issue concerning my sons study habits. He is doing marginally well in high school which is actually not bad since he was IEP through all of grade school ( Writing and reading comprehension issues) before mainstreaming in high school. He is now going into his Senior year and have displayed a consistent propensity for studying at the very last minute for everything he does. I realize the is somewhat common for some teenagers but he does it in all aspects of his life. I am 49 years old and have been very successful in business and have the exact same trait when it comes to preparation. I find that the last minute helps me focus and present better and more effectively in my sales career. My son has no idea that I have this trait and I have never discussed with him. So I'm not sure if I should cultivate this trait in him and show him how to properly prepare at the last minute since it has worked for me or if I should council him to fight his instincts and learn to properly prepare for school assignments?.
Are his study methods working for him? You say he is doing marginally well. Is he concerned about his grades or study habits?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He is concerned about his grades but can only seem to focus when the deadline looms. Then because he is rushing he misses certain things. But he seems so much more in the moment when facing deadline than being forced to study ahead ( i remember the feeling. ). I am torn between teaching him how to harness the power of last minute preparation ( took me years to master ) or pushing him to the more traditional method

I think the discussion with him needs to take place; especially if he goes on to college because his last minute study habits will probably backfire. I would talk with him and see if he is open to modifying his study habits. Try it your way. If it doesn't work then practicing long-term shortened study habits would be the way to go. What do you think?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

College does not seem to be in the cards. His grades do not reflect the ability and his desire to move to Southern California and work behind the scenes in the movie industry has been a goal since he was 14. He has lined up apprenticeships ( Warner Bros. Lot) and film school grants. He is focused and motivated but has no propensity for school studies, it is perplexing to me. He has been this way all his life. Very high social intelligence coupled with little to no school aptitude.

Ok, then give him some pointers to help him through high school. That's probably the goal for him at this point in time. No sense in pushing the issue if it won't help him in the long run.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Will do . Thank you