Heidi LPC
Heidi LPC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  Licensed Professional Counselor
65628425

My son is 17. He has been getting more and more difficult to

Customer Question

My son is 17. He has been getting more and more difficult to deal with. Lately, he has been hinting at killing himself, has cuts on his wrist, and said he hates his family. He's really a good person, just not to us. He did not come home last night. He has not called or texted and won't answer his phone or texts. It's almost noon now and he's still not home and still no word from him. I've never actually experienced anything like this and I'm at a loss to what to do. Please help.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Heidi LPC replied 3 years ago.

Heidi LPC :

Hi there, my name is Heidi and I am a licensed psychotherapist... I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing such difficulty with your son. This isn't just your run-of-the-mill rebellion, though, and I recommend that you notify the police right away about his disappearance, and that you take these threats of suicide seriously. It sounds as if your son needs help, the whole family may possibly need some counseling intervention, and given his age, you are still considered to be responsible for his safety. Please, notify the authorities and act quickly to be sure that he is safe, and then you may want to consider getting him to an emergency room for psychiatric evaluation. This type of behavior is extreme... I hope you will consider my suggestion... if I can be of any further assistance, please let me know!