Dr. G.
Dr. G., Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist in the state of Minnesota
15682972

My 7 yr old son is the 2nd born of 4 children. He was diagnosed

Customer Question

My 7 yr old son is the 2nd born of 4 children. He was diagnosed with adhd in 2011 but I'm worried about his complete lack of common sense. He is taking knives to school even after getting in trouble. He puts his face over open flames. He rides bike on the road in front of our house that has a speed limit of 55 mph. He will see feces on the floor and just stares and waits for it to pick up itself. His reason for these behaviors is always the same, "I don't know." I have talked to his prescribing physician for his adderall and his therapist and they both say it's age appropriate for him to not have common sense but I have raised all 4 of my kids the same way and my 2 yr old daughter has more common sense than my son. Is this really age appropriate or do I have a legitimate concern?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 1 year ago.
I don't need to get to technical with you for you to see obvious differences with this child compared to the others. At 7, your son should know right from wrong, be deterred from engaging in activity that would lead to punishment, and not put himself in danger. Even a child with ADHD would not engage in these behaviors. Can you tell me the purpose of therapy and the outcome you are having with it? How was he diagnosed with ADHD? Any other diagnosis the doctor considered?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The purpose of therapy is to help him with his behavioral issues and me to understand how to parent him differently and correctly for his ADHD. He has also been told since he was 2 that he has ODD. Him and his 10 yr old sister can never get along as well. The therapist and the Dr that prescribes his Adderall keep telling me it is age appropriate but I don't think that is right. I know he won't have as much common sense as the older kids and me but he should have at least some and he has none. He plays by the road lots even when reprimanded every time. He even let his 2 yr old sister cross the road once only telling her that she can't. He never tried to stop her. His answer to us about why he let her cross instead of stopping her was that he told her she can't. You tell him to put things away or do something and he stands there just staring at you for quite some time and then I have to repeat myself. Just this morning I told him he needed to take his pill and when I was handing him the pill he instead picked up our cat. It is very frustrating because my whole family has seen these issues since he was 2 but no one will take me seriously. I feel that the Drs just think they are right and don't care about my opinions. He also destroys things when he gets upset. He has stabbed the walls and his bed with screwdrivers before and even though we have told him several times how to properly clean his room and where things go in his room when he cleans he puts everything in garbage bags to throw out even books and clothes. When I ask him if it's only garbage he tells me yes but then I check and see everything even lots of his toys. He is very boisterous and loud and constantly talking. He can't control his impulses and blurting out things in school. He can't stay on one topic during a conversation and is constantly saying things that have no relevance to the conversation.

Expert:  Dr. G. replied 1 year ago.
Definitely a handful. I think if you are not pleased with therapy or the doctor or the diagnosis, then you go somewhere else. I am siding with you on this one. The behaviors are not normal for his age. A diagnosis of odd at 2 is very young and not typical practice. Something else is going on here. I can speculate other diagnosis but it would be guessing. I would get a neuropsychological evaluation to see what else might be going on. Trust your jUdgment on this one.