Jen Helant
Jen Helant, Child Care
Experience:  I have my bachelors degree in psychology. I worked with children. Since then I have raised and still raising 3 wonderful boys.
13551071

almost 3 yr old Boy Almost 6 month old girl and 7 yr old

Customer Question

almost 3 yr old Boy
Almost 6 month old girl and
7 yr old boy

I want to teach them things without using art all the time. Like my 3 yr old im trying to work with him on his
Shapes:
*Triangle, square,* rectangle, and circle
Numbers:
1-10 but mostly 1-5
Colors:
*Red, Blue, Green, *Yellow, *Orange and Purple
His Name:
BROOKLYN Knows it almost perfect but would like him to associate it with the letters as well and he does with the B and O's

I put an * next to the ones he has the hardest time with. We do a lot of art stuff and just so you know funds and materials are limited. What can I do besides art things with him?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Jen Helant replied 3 years ago.

jenhelant :

Hi To help your 3 yr old I would try getting some flashcards. Depending where you live there is usually a dollar store or a 99 cent store. They usually have flashcards you can get for shapes and colors as well as prek work books that are also just a dollar. You can even use just a pen and paper and make the shapes yourself as well as write his name down. You can make dots and hold his hand helping him learn to trace it, see it, and write it. You can even point out letters on everyday things during daily life such as on cereal boxes, toys, and etc. You can point and say something like " oops can you help me remember what this color is". It is good to just randomly include learning in everyday activities. Children learn well like that without even knowing they are learning. Also, when you give him something such as cheerios count it out to him. Another idea would be to take a walk and point to the green grass, yellow sun, and etc. These are all free fun ways you can incorporate learning into daily life. I wish you well and please let me know if I can be of further help.