Jen Helant
Jen Helant, Child Care
Experience:  I have my bachelors degree in psychology. I worked with children. Since then I have raised and still raising 3 wonderful boys.
13551071

My 3.5 year old son acts as though he doesnt like me sometimes.

My 3.5 year old son acts as though he doesn't like me sometimes. He wont say goodbye to me or give me a kiss when I am leaving to go to work and often tells me to go away! I am the main care giver and understand that he may just be testing the boundaries but it is hard to be sure how to act in this situation. He has plenty of freedom to be himself yet we are disciplined as far as him getting everything he wants and ruling the house. Any advice would be welcomed!
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Jen Helant replied 1 year ago.

This is completely normal. My 3 year old did the same thing. They do this because they feel comfortable enough to do that with us. It is nothing personal to you and this is actually a sign of how much he truly trusts you because he knows you love him and will be back. If he wants you to go away I would just leave him alone. You can say something like "it is okay if you want to play by yourself, but you can say it in a nice way, such as can you please go away mommy". Just little ways just to show him its okay to say how he feels, but how he says it is important. As far as saying goodbye you can either take the approach such as forcing him to say goodbye to learn discipline, ignore and leave, or brush it off saying something like " hey silly boy. Don't wanna say bye to mommy. Well I love you and I'll see you later. This depends how strict you want to be at what age. I would take the joking around at this age and little by little if he doesn't grow out of it, which usually does happen then I would start to teach him that it is important to say goodbye and hello to people especially loved ones. In time this will all change and I would not worry. With age you can get stricter with discipline as you see needed, but things like this are common and they really don't mean anything bad by it. He will grow out of it and everything will be fine.

Please let me know if I can be of further help. I wish you all the best.
Jen Helant, Child Care
Experience: I have my bachelors degree in psychology. I worked with children. Since then I have raised and still raising 3 wonderful boys.