Jen Helant
Jen Helant, Child Care
Experience:  I have my bachelors degree in psychology. I worked with children. Since then I have raised and still raising 3 wonderful boys.

is it advisable to leave a 6 month old baby on the play mat

is it advisable to leave a 6 month old baby on the play mat by himself. even if he cries and screams to attention?
is there a general rule of thumb on how much time a 6 month old should be spending on his own rather with parents in the day
A 6 month old should never be left completely alone. However, can and should be left to play alone with supervision nearby. This is good for them to learn to be independent. If they are crying it is okay to leave them alone for a few minutes at a time until they learn to be accustomed to it. Your baby wants to be with you and that is natural, but there is nothing wrong with leaving them to play alone on the play mat. As you continue to do it they will eventually stop crying. If they are changed, fed, and safe just crying to be held it is perfectly fine to leave them until you feel is enough. I would say about 15 minutes at a time. There really is no general rule of how long babies should stay on their play mat away from their parents in a day. It depends on your circumstances and the baby. However, a balance of everything is best.
Please let me know if I can be of further help.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok I guess this deals with screaming and crying:

our baby screams when he wants attention. we are trying to not go to him immedaitely when he does this. what is general rule of how long we should wait before going to him.

secondly, when he cries, it is usually in the late afternoons when he gets colicky. if he cries, we are there in less than 2 minutes. I imagine this may not be the best either? what is general rule of how long to leave the baby when he cries.

I understand where you are coming from. This all depends on the parents. I have seen people who leave their baby for an hour and others who can't stand a minute. For both situations If you know he is fine I would try leaving him until he soothes himself. If you see it has been too long say about 20 minutes then I would go in there. I would continue to repeat this pattern until he learns to soothe himself. In time you will see an improvement since he will see you will not be there right away, but will eventually, so he will learn and calm himself.