camd2000
camd2000, Parent Coach/Therapist
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker, Child and Family Therapist, Parent Educator and Mother.
73284482

our baby is 6 months old. we would like to find out 1. what

Customer Question

our baby is 6 months old. we would like to find out
1. what are some educational things we can buy/do to help accelerate his learning
2. what are some fun things we can buy/do besides the general peekaboo
3. what are some things we can buy/do that help accelerate his physical abilities
Category: Parenting
Expert:  camd2000 replied 1 year ago.

camd2000 :

Thank you for contacting Just Answer. And congratulations on your 6-month-old. These are great questions. Your baby is lucky to have such caring parents. The most important thing to foster your child's development at this age is to talk to your baby, play with your baby, cuddle, smile and describe what is happening around you (probably what you are already doing). 1. You can buy toys that engage your child rather than entertain. Limit the number of battery operated toys that can overstimulate babies and buy toys that your child can manipulate (balls, rattles, stacking toys, toys he can put in and out of a basket or a bag) and reactionary toys such as musical instruments, and rainmakers. www.fatbraintoys.com is a great website where you can search for toys by age. 2. Reading, singing and playing music with your child helps foster his development. Peek a boo is a great game because it teaches your child about object permanence (that objects exist even when they cannot be seen) which helps with separation anxiety so definitely continue that. I will also attach a handout that gives you specific techniques on playing with your child that will help foster your relationship and his development. 3. Giving your child the opportunity to play in a safe space is the best thing you can do to help foster his physical abilities. Allowing your child the opportunity to lay down on the floor and roll over will help him develop his gross motor skills. The great thing about babies is with the right environment and parental support, they know what to do on their own. I hope his has been helpful, if so, I would appreciate a positive review. If not, please know what else I can do to further assist you. I wish you all the very best! Kerrie

Attachment: 2013-05-01_011656_play_handout.docx

Full Size Image

Customer:

thanks. that helps a lot. also a quick question: should we have our baby sleep on his own at 6 months or is it too early or too late?

camd2000, Parent Coach/Therapist
Experience: Licensed Clinical Social Worker, Child and Family Therapist, Parent Educator and Mother.
Expert:  camd2000 replied 1 year ago.
Good question. Honestly where your child sleeps is a very personal choice. It depends on a variety of factors:

How are you all sleeping together?
Do you like sleeping together or would you prefer your baby to have his own room.
6 months is definitely old enough for his own room, but I would assess how things are working for all of you before making the switch.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

for families that choose to have the baby sleep in his own room, normally about how old do people start to train the baby to sleep in his own room?

Expert:  camd2000 replied 1 year ago.
It is such a range, but anywhere from 2 months to a year. If that is what you would like to do, I think 6 months is a great age to start that transition. Starting at 7/8 months babies start hitting lots of big developmental milestones - they are eating more solids, they start to sit up and crawl and they begin to have some separation anxiety. So, it is probably best to start the transition now (particularly before the separation anxiety starts). Best of luck!
Expert:  camd2000 replied 1 year ago.
Hi Tony,

I wanted to send you an email to see how things are going and if you have started transitioning your son to sleep in his own room. If not, let me know if you would like information on how to transition him. Also, if there is anything further I can assist you with please let me know.

I wish you all the best.
Kerrie