DrPsychologist, Psychologist
Experience:  I have worked as a psychologist for over 10 years and have experience in family therapy.

My toddler has just turned 2 and some recent behaviour asserting

Customer Question

My toddler has just turned 2 and some recent behaviour asserting her independence is becoming difficult to manage. On many occasions when an instruction is not in line with what she wants, she will lie on the floor. This is not great when you are trying to cross the road for instance and if you pick her up and carry her, she will push against you with her feet. Any advice would be appreciated.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  DrPsychologist replied 3 years ago.

DrPsychologist :

Hi, your description sounds like normal 2 year old behavior. I like to use the 1-2-3 method with my 2 year old. I tell him that if I reach 3 he will be in time out/have something he wants taken (like watching his show for the afternoon, etc.) A child that has turned 2 may not be ready for a time out but they do want their treat or special activity. There are three key components to successful parenting behavior - keeping calm is the first and most important (saying it matter of factly and not yelling, crying, etc). The second is providing consequences and the third is following through even if it inconvenient to do so - like leaving the grocery store when your toddler is having a meltdown. You still need the groceries but teaching them consequences ("if you don't get up from the floor when I get to three we are leaving. 1-2-3") will prove much more useful down the line. Do you have any questions?

Customer : Yes, she doesn't seem to get the 123 thing yet nor consequences particularly when she works herself into a state she won't listen to anything. She only does this when we are out and she decides she's had enough of holding your hand or doesn't want to go in the direction you want to go in. Not usually at home. Even dropping her off at day care today, when I was leaving!
Customer : Any other thoughts?