TherapistJen, LCSW, CPC
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker. Certified Coach Mom of Twins.

My 13yo daughters friendships keep changing and she doesnt

My 13yo daughter's friendships keep changing and she doesn't tell me much. She seems quite happy though. My worry is a friend who she no longer sees but who was very close to her for about a year and to other friends my daughter still talks about. The child I am worried about is going through difficulties at home and I am concerned that she is excluded now. I am also worried my child may have been unkind. Am I interfering if I make contact with this child's parents just to see how she is getting on?
Hi, I'm a Moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Hi. Welcome. I am a Licensed Master Social Worker with more than 20 years experience working with individuals and families. I am also a mom of Twins.

It is not uncommon at this age for girls to have strong friendships and then have it change rather suddenly. They are in a place of independence and figuring out who they are and where they fit it. Unfortunately it is also not uncommon where girls may be unkind as they move through friendships.

I would suggest speaking with your daughter further about it by reassuring her that it is okay that she chooses what friendships work for her and that being kind is always the good choice. I do not believe that calling the parents of this other girl is a great may alienate your daughter and she may feel mistrust in you and your goal is to have her feel comfortable to speak with you about anything.

If she doesn't want to talk of any of it then respect that need for privacy around this. If, of course, you heard from someone else that your daughter was cruel then I would continue to talk with her about it.

I will wait to hear from you to share your thoughts.
TherapistJen, LCSW, CPC
Experience: Licensed Clinical Social Worker. Certified Coach Mom of Twins.