camd2000
camd2000, Parent Coach/Therapist
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker, Child and Family Therapist, Parent Educator and Mother.

My 26 month old toddler keeps asking me and my husband to cry.

Customer Question

My 26 month old toddler keeps asking me and my husband to cry. He seems to like seeing people crying. should I be concerned about this?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  camd2000 replied 1 year ago.

camd2000 :

Hi and thank you for using Just Answer. It sounds like your son might be at the beginning stages of exploring feelings. I would start to teach him about feelings by reading him some books and playing some games about emotions. How am I Peeling? Is a great and fun book about feelings. Here are some ideas of games you can play: you can draw different faces on a piece of paper (or find pictures on the computer) and name the different feelings. You can even talk about what makes people sad, mad, happy. You can also make different feeling faces, ask him to imitate them and name them. Let him explore the feelings a bit and see where it goes. I don't think at this age it is something to be concerned about. But, if he continues to only be fixated on crying even after you have taught him about other feelings (and after another couple weeks or so) then please send me another question and we can "talk" further. I hope you are satisfied with my answer. If so, I would appreciate a positive rating. If not, please ask follow up questions so that I can assist you further. All the Best, Kerrie

Customer :

Thank you for your reply. He is already very in touch with feelings and has a good understanding of a variety of them. We show him pictures of emotional faces and he can identify and mimic them.

Expert:  camd2000 replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  camd2000 replied 1 year ago.
That is wonderful that your son is in touch with his feelings. It sounds like you have done a great job teaching him about his feelings. I would not be concerned about him asking you to cry - it is just part of the learning process and further exploring feelings, and people's reactions. Is there something in particular that you are worried about when he asks you to cry?

I understand that you were not satisfied with my response. I hope to provide you with the best service possible. Are there further questions I can answer? Or anything I can do to clarify or better answer your question? Thank you for being a Just Answer customer.

Best, Kerrie