SREED177
SREED177, Family Counselor
Experience:  I have a Master's In Marriage and Family Therapy, and have been in the field for 4 years.
20550412

IS IT HARMFUL TO YOUNG CHILDREN WITH DIVORCED PARENTS IF ONE

Customer Question

IS IT HARMFUL TO YOUNG CHILDREN WITH DIVORCED PARENTS IF ONE PARENT MOVES IN A PARTNER BEFORE GETTING REMAIRED?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  SREED177 replied 3 years ago.
It can be harmful. The key about the situation is how you handle it and how you present it in front of children. If the divorce is recent, I would caution against the other parent moving in with their partner too soon. This will cause harm and confusion, its best to wait until the child has a full understanding of the divorce and wait until the parents have an co-parenting understanding and to wait until their is some normalcy after the divorce until the parent moves in with someone else. The goal during a divorce first, is to make sure that the children are cared for and understand the new structure of their family. Once that is settled and understood by the child, then the other parent can begin to introduce other people or parties (i.e new partner) at this time and it should be a easier transition for the child.