proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor

I am raising my 5 year old grandson. He is very smart and very

Customer Question

I am raising my 5 year old grandson. He is very smart and very open, honest and well adjusted. He picks up on everything and "I guess" is in the sexual curiosity stage. I have him in an christian preschool K-4 and he has excelled. Today a girl his age asked him to pull his pants down at nap time and show her his privets and touched them as well as she showed him hers. The teacher did well in addressing the issue and did not make a big issue with them. I talked to him at home and tried to explain that if some one ask you that to say NO. (Especially adults, and that he is the only one allowed to touch himself) I am not quite sure how to deal with the issue. Is, is this normal. he has told me that when he gets married (I know he does not understand the meaning) that he in going to sleep naked with his girlfriend.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using Just Answer. I would be more than happy to assist you today with your concerns.

Children at the age of your grandson do not completely understand the actions of touching another one's private parts. They are curious as you have mentioned. The teacher did an admirable job of not making a big deal about it. Another thing you can tell your grandson is to not touch or be touched in any place that a bathing suit covers up. Furthermore if needed, talk about good and bad touching. However, I would not bring up the issue again with much emphasis unless something else happens. A one time occurrence is rather shocking though. Take a deep breath. :)

Furthermore, I am concerned though about his statement of his wanting to sleep naked with his girlfriend when he grows up. Such a statement is a little beyond normal everyday 5 year old conversations. I am wondering if he has seen grown ups naked? Has he seen inappropriate television programs or pictures such as on the Internet? Are the other children engaging in such conversations at school? You may want to investigate the statement if you feel comfortable in doing so.

I know that you probably have been very pleased with his progress at the Christian pre-school. However, you may need to make sure that the teachers are paying more attention to inappropriate behavior and talking that may or may not be occurring. Just continue to be aware of your grandson's behavior and pay close attention to any changes.

Your job as the grandparent/parent is to guide your child/grandchild to be the best that he/she can be. Just continue to stay involved, communicate with your grandson and his caregivers, and remain a positive influence.

Take care and keep me posted. If more advice is needed, feel free to contact me at any time. Have a wonderful day. Thank you for allowing me to assist you. :)