Dr. L
Dr. L, Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed as psychologist and marriage and family therapist
63993671

lite quick cheap dinner suggestions for 2?

lite dinner suggestions?  turkey/veg burger on roll, lettuce/dressing wrap, lentil soup, ravioli,chix breast w/veg,black bean w/lemon onion and avocado, chix soup,cottage cheese w/cherry peppers, grape leaves, parfait, velv and cheese, eggs and sausage, polenta&pesto,peanut butter,trail mix,sandwich,crush tomatoes brown rice onion red kidneybeans,skirt steak&onion, hummus&cucumber, cucumber feta onion,pasta w/white clam sauce,firm tofu w/?

Category: Parenting
Expert:  Dr. L replied 1 year ago.

Dr. L :

Good Morning,

Dr. L :

I would like to help you with your question.

Dr. L :

You have a long array of options listed. While the produce listed is by and large healthy, the "lite" dinner would depend in part on the size of the portion. I do question the low calorie content of the ravioli - particularly because of the saucing. Same goes for the pasta with white clam sauce.

Dr. L :

I am sorry...but is your question about whether these are "lite" or is it about how interesting these selections might be, or something else?

Dr. L :

Please advise.

Dr. L :

Thank you.

Customer:

looking for additional suggestions...the foods listed are what i eat now as my dinners. now this is my last question and because you didn't answer it i can no longer get the information i am requesting.

Customer:

i gain weight easily. i eat a pizza slice for lunch everyday and was hoping to obtain low card dinner choices

Customer:

just looking for as many suggestions as i can get

Customer:

okay...maybe they arent all lite but i feel they are lite enough to be able to eat an ample portion without gaining wt. no sauce for any of these. ravioli with parm cheese.

Customer:

well there is salad dressing/sauce with the lettuce wrap

Customer:

the sandwich might contain mayo sometimes

Customer:

looking for a chick pea recipe too

Customer:

i think black bean corn and red pepper go well?

Dr. L :

Yes...black bean corn and red pepper go well...

Dr. L :

Be careful when buying anything that says "lite" on it...usually that means it's watered down. You would be better to use the "real thing" sparingly. As the french say...everything in moderation...

Customer:

ok

Customer:

great! thx

Dr. L :

As I now know what you are looking for..let me add to your list:

Dr. L :

see this website for good ideas...http://www.cookinglight.com/food/recipe-finder/300-calorie-dinners-00412000076815/

Dr. L :

Don't be afraid to use a good olive oil and real butter...just monitor how much you put in your cooking pan. Applesauce is a very good sub for vegetable oil in many recipes.

Customer:

i use kalamata olive oil right now

Dr. L :

What can make a huge difference in the taste of a dish is fresh spices...think about using rosemary, dill, cilantro, garlic and lemon. A handful of dill in a bowl of soup turns a flat dish into something quite spectacular. Same with rosemary.

Customer:

i make rosemary foccacia 1-2x/mth.

Dr. L :

Sweet potatoes are a better choice then potatoes any day. They can be baked and sprinkled with any number of spices for a great flavor.

Dr. L :

Terrific to the foccacia!!! Slices can be topped with fresh tomatoes a drizzle of olive oil! It can be sliced to make pizza! and any number of nutritious open faced sandwiches.

Dr. L :

Plain yogurt is another good substitute for oil in recipes...

Dr. L :

Besides peanut butter...think about almond butter.

Dr. L :

If there is a Trader Joe's grocery store near you...they have a good variety of fresh fruits, vegetables and unique foods.

Dr. L :

another option for noodles - at less calories - is cellophane chinese noodles...very good tasting.

Dr. L :

Don't forget spaghetti squash...nutritious, low calorie, many uses...

Customer:

no trader joes...there are greek specialty groceries and fruit/veg markets

Dr. L :

I didn't see fish on your list! Lots of good varieties here....salmon is always a good choice. White fish can be spiced up in many ways.

Dr. L :

Okay..you have good markets to chose from...and that's great.

Customer:

i get salmon 1x/mth

Dr. L :

You can also consider growing your own herb garden...that saves money, puts a nice scent in the house, and keeps it easy and at your finger tips.

Dr. L :

Root vegetables have lots of nutritional value. Think rutabagas and the like....

Dr. L :

They can be baked or grilled for variety. Same with peppers!

Dr. L :

Onions as well!

Customer:

no room for herb garden...tiny cluttered apt

Dr. L :

Are my ideas sparking some new thinking?

Customer:

yes...thx

Dr. L :

Herb garden can go on a window ledge if you have room...or hanging basket.

Customer:

can almond butter go with chicken as a sauce?

Dr. L :

I would say yes....throw on some real sliced almonds as well....

Dr. L :

Lemon cooked with the chicken makes a nice broth that can be boiled down and used as a sauce.

Customer:

do we peel the rutabaga

Dr. L :

Yes.

Dr. L :

Some people boil it and mash like potatoes. Is excellent in soups, stews

Dr. L :

Some people mix rutabaga with carrots and peas too.

Dr. L :

Try combining your pasta with small pieces of ham or chicken and adding peas. This is very nice.

Dr. L :

Can always use just a tad of cream and parm cheese...

Dr. L :

Cream cheese - used in moderation - also makes a very nice sauce.

Dr. L :

Melt it down with a bit of milk.

Dr. L :

You could also make stuffed shells.

Dr. L :

Those big ones.

Customer:

forget the shells i substitute with lg ravioli

Dr. L :

Mix sliced spinach with parm and cottage cheese as the stuffing. Put in baking dish with tomato sauce.

Dr. L :

Okay...you could add the sliced spinach to the ravioli dish for more nutrition and a different flavor combination.

Dr. L :

I didn't see spinach on your list...do you not like it?

Dr. L :

It really is a versatile vegetable...not just for salad.

Dr. L :

It's a great filling in sandwiches and can be layer in a casserole with other vegetables.

Customer:

yes i make veg smoothies with the blender spinach, carrots, broccoli and soda

Customer:

i'll try stuffed shells

Dr. L :

A very simple and good meal is to put chicken in a crock pot with a jar of salsa. Can serve over brown rice or with polenta.

Dr. L :

Kale is another great veggie....

Dr. L :

Can use just like spinach....

Dr. L :

Cabbage is another veggie that is underused...can be par-boiled and used in many ways from a simple casserole of brown rice, chunks of cabbage and hamburger or sausage cooked with consumme or broth as the liquid.

Customer:

i used to cook with kale scramble egg and keilbasa

Dr. L :

Can be made into a salad with vinegar and oil dressing.

Dr. L :

Very good combination with the kale!

Customer:

sounds good

Dr. L :

I think we have a great list of new things for you to experiment with.

Dr. L :

Hurrah.

Dr. L :

Is there any last thing I can help you with this afternoon?

Customer:

thanks for the inspiration to add to my choices

Customer:

your still in chat so we cant end and rate

Customer:

excellent knowlege...just what i was looking for....great ideas

Dr. L :

I am glad I could help you and that you are satisfied with my response.

Dr. L :

I will release the question so that you can rate!

Dr. L, Psychologist
Experience: Licensed as psychologist and marriage and family therapist