Rafael M.T.Therapist
Rafael M.T.Therapist, Family Counselor
Experience:  MHT-MHRS-MS-MA Integral Psychotherapist & Life Coach
65591635

NA-211

Customer Question

my stepson is being sent home from school for the 2nd time for uttering threats about killing everyone in the class. He is a non violent person, has no access to anything - no guns, anything - he is at a boarding school where he is monitored . He has no interest in any of that. He does things like this to get out of doing things he doesn't want or if he feels he's not getting enough attention. He will be 20 on his next birthday and we are trying to get him to graduate, although I'm too embarassed by his behavior to even want to attend. The school wants a letter from a psychologist who will say he's non violent. He has mild Aspergers ( autism spectrum disorder) and genius type IQ. He achieved top 5% in the nation on his ACTS and was about to write SATS where he would be sure to get the same. He's coming home tonight and we have him until after Easter. I'm looking for ideas on how to get him to take responsibility for his actions, not just enjoy an extended vacation. He's addicted to the computer and inappropriate sites and games. Anytime he doesn't get his own way he does something to get it.. ie steal, sneak and wait until your not looking. he's smart. While his dad was asleep in front of the computer he made himself a log in that he could access so that when we shut the computer down he could turn it on and get on. I'm a bit panicked as he's going to be here tonight. His fetal alcohol sister will be back tomorrow as well. I love these kids but I need some help on how to make him responsible for his life and actions. Thanks. His dDad is lost. Has no clue what to do.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm a Moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

not sure why it should be so hard for anyone to give me some ideas on how to make him responsible for his life and his actions. Leave it up for a bit.. - guess the experts that are reviewing it are not expert at giving advice for making kids responsible for their own behavior????????????

Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your continued patience. We will continue the search for a Professional for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thanks - i might want to add that he was admittded to a psch ward, voluntarily to be checked for his mental state ( he is not a violent person) however the parents at his school would like a pro to say so.. but still we need a way to discourage him from wanting to come home for extended vacations and having no real way to do that. Our house turns into a jail trying to keep him off computers etc and from creeping around the house at night.. .. some suggestions would be greatly appreciated. He wants nothing except computer time or game time and then cheats on the time he earns and steals extra. So that's a tough one. Common.. could really use your ideas.. even if ONE worked it would help us .. please.

Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your patience, your business is very important to us, we are waiting on the Professional with the right expertise to come online. Feel free to let us know if you would like us to continue searching for a Professional or if you would like us to close your question. Thank you for your understanding!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

forget it .. thanks