Jen Helant
Jen Helant, Child Care
Experience:  I have my bachelors degree in psychology. I worked with children. Since then I have raised and still raising 3 wonderful boys.

My wife and I split up 7 months ago and are legally separated.

My wife and I split up 7 months ago and are legally separated. We have joint custody of our kids. When we separated, she moved 15 miles away. The kids are still enrolled in the same school and have attended the school since they were in kindergarten. She now wants the kids (boys ages 9 and 12) to attend a school closer to where she lives because it's been classified as a higher academic achievement school. I do believe that is part of the equation, but the other part is she is starting back school and the new school is only a few minutes away from her new residence and new college.

The kids cry have cried when their mom mentioned they maybe be moving to a different school and they don't want to go. I would appreciate and expert's opinion. I want to do what's right for the kids. Thank you.

I don't really think there is any right or wrong here and ultimately the court will decide what is in the best interest of the children.

See overall children do really end up adjusting well in new situations, so it is difficult to listen to what children want all the time because most of the time they do not know what is better for them and could end up even happier at the new school.I see this all the time with my own children as well as other peoples. A personally experience was we moved to another state and I was worried about the children myself, but we did what we needed to do and they are even happier now then they were at the previous school. Children want what they are used to and are not capable of making decisions as to what is better for them. They may be sad and upset in the beginning, but may very well end up loving it later. If the school is better for them academically and more convenient for your wife then it may work better for everyone. I would research it yourself to see if you think it indeed is a better school for them. If it will benefit them positively I do think it is in their best interest and along with it they will have less travel time to school.

I hope everything works well in the end for everyone especially the children. Please let me know if I can be of further help.