How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Jen Helant Your Own Question

Jen Helant
Jen Helant, Child Care
Category: Parenting
Satisfied Customers: 1386
Experience:  I have my bachelors degree in psychology. I worked with children. Since then I have raised and still raising 3 wonderful boys.
Type Your Parenting Question Here...
Jen Helant is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, Im wondering if you can help me? My son asked me for

Customer Question

Hi, I'm wondering if you can help me?
My son asked me for a loan recently. He said he was having financial difficulties and was in danger of losing his business and his home. The thought that my grandson would be without a roof over his head was unbearable so I loaned my son $160,000. He said he would have a loan agreement drawn up which his wife and he would sign. She won't sign and neither will he. Even worse, he has bought a Porsche and won't talk to me anymore.
I never thought this could ever happen to me as we have always been very close.
Can you help me repair my relationship with him?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Jen Helant replied 3 years ago.

I am so sorry that this happened. That is terrible. I understand that you want to repair the relationship, but he needs to be willing to do that in order for any progress to occur. What he did was horrible and tricking you into giving him the money. That is pretty much equal to stealing. I would seriously consider taking him to court even though you do not have a written agreement courts have ways of finding the truth by what makes sense. You must have proof of the check and etc as well. You trusted him and he betrayed your trust. The way to repair this relationship may be the opposite of what you wanted to hear. He needs to see that you are going to take action on what he did and will not be there for him whenever he wants. I would focus on taking care of yourself and doing your own thing. Let him see you being active in your own way and not worrying about him. He seems to manipulate and play on your emotions and now it is your turn not play on his emotions, but to actually be true about it. If he sees you taking care of yourself and no longer worrying about him this can spark concern to him and he may learn to appreciate you and not take you forgranted. The fact that he knows you are always there for him and willing to lend a helping hand causes him to treat you this way. He needs to see that you demand respect and that you do not allow him to play on your emotions. Talking to him and explaining or pleading for a relationship at this point does not seem like the way to go. After what he did he shows he has no respect for you. The way to go is by what I have explained showing him you will not tolerate this behavior nor be manipulated. When he sees you standing up for yourself and not allowing this he then may start to want a relationship with you out of fear of loosing you forever. It would be a shock to him since he has never seen you so strong.

I hope everything works and please let me know if I can be of further help.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX makes very good sense, but as a mother I can't tell you how this has devastated me! You are right, I see that, but this distancing of my son and daughter in law means my access to my grandson is limited by the whims of his parents which have been very cruel. Especially since I have recently retired and had hoped that I would be able to spend more time with my grandson! Sadly, my son recently stated to me, that I'm lucky he's letting me see my grandson at all.
There are times when I get so depressed and sink into such despair. That is why I was willing to do anything to try to get back to where we were before. We were such a united family.
Expert:  Jen Helant replied 3 years ago.
I understand how heartbreaking it really is and I wish there was some type of law allowing children to see their grandparents despite the issues involved with the parents. I could imagine how devasted you are and how you want things to go back to how they were. I don't know what caused things to change, but I do know that sometimes people change and we can not do anything about that, but continue to do our part and be the same person that we are. However, when it crosses the line and we are being taken advantage of that is when it needs to stop. I would try asking if you can see your grandchildren despite what happened or even take them out yourself, but I would not allow to be taken advantage of in order to have a relationship with your grandchildren because in the future they will not respect you and you will them ruin any chance of having a relationship with them later.

If you feel you have done wrong in the past I would sit down and apologize, but remember no mom is perfect that is for sure, sobibwould not go about apologizing for little things or thongs you were supposed to do as a mom. But I would sit with him alone if you could and look into his eyes asking him why he did what he did. Again do not plead for a relationship with him since that will put him inn control. Rather ask him questions about his love for you, why he did what he did, and what he sees in the future for you both. Remind him of the good time and how united you both were. Getting him to answer these questions can help you understand where is mind is at and also maybe wake him up a little to see exactly how he changed and what he is doing to you. Sometimes people need to stop and think a little to kind of snap out of it.

I would try this type of conversation as well as asking about your grandchildren. Be strong and do not allow him to take advantage of you. This does not mean you need to be angry or have an attitude. It just means you will show strength and respect for yourself. A calm individual, nice, and sweet, but who no longer allows to be manipulated, fooled, or being taken advantage of.
Jen Helant, Child Care
Category: Parenting
Satisfied Customers: 1386
Experience: I have my bachelors degree in psychology. I worked with children. Since then I have raised and still raising 3 wonderful boys.
Jen Helant and 2 other Parenting Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther Woodstock, NY
  • Thank you so much for taking your time and knowledge to support my concerns. Not only did you answer my questions, you even took it a step further with replying with more pertinent information I needed to know. Robin Elkton, Maryland
  • He answered my question promptly and gave me accurate, detailed information. If all of your experts are half as good, you have a great thing going here. Diane Dallas, TX

Meet The Experts:

  • Rafael M.T.Therapist

    Rafael M.T.Therapist

    Family Counselor

    Satisfied Customers:

    MHT-MHRS-MS-MA Integral Psychotherapist & Life Coach
< Last | Next >
  • Rafael M.T.Therapist's Avatar

    Rafael M.T.Therapist

    Family Counselor

    Satisfied Customers:

    MHT-MHRS-MS-MA Integral Psychotherapist & Life Coach
  • Jennifer's Avatar


    School Psychologist

    Satisfied Customers:

    Collaborative parent consultation on everything from modifying behavior to child development.
  • professional_Alison's Avatar


    Child Care

    Satisfied Customers:

    Degree in early years,16 years experience in childcare
  • Cher's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Extensive Experience working with Children/Teens; M.A. Teacher/Tutor 40+ yrs.; Parent of 2
  • Dr. L's Avatar

    Dr. L


    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed as psychologist and marriage and family therapist
  • Dr. Shirley Schaye's Avatar

    Dr. Shirley Schaye


    Satisfied Customers:

    PhD-Psych; Certif. Psychoanalyst NPAP& NYFS; Memb.APsaA;IPA; Pub.Author; Teach/Supervise Therapy
  • Eveningstargazer's Avatar


    Family Counselor

    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (LMFT)

Related Parenting Questions