Jen Helant
Jen Helant, Child Care
Experience:  I have my bachelors degree in psychology. I worked with children. Since then I have raised and still raising 3 wonderful boys.

Hi, My little girl was born 8 weeks ago. Recently 3 weeks

My little girl was born 8 weeks ago. Recently 3 weeks she has been waking up around 1-2am and would cry till 7-9am into the morning. She will then sleep peacefully all the way till 7-8pm waking up every 2-3 hours just to feed. Her cries in the night is many times inconsolable and she would be screaming on top of her voice. We tried breast feeding her but she will suck for 5-10min before she screams out loud again. We also tried giving her colic medication before she sleeps but that doesn't seem to help. We also tried diming the lights, changing diaples, not playing with her hours before she sleeps, feeding her more before she sleeps, etc etc... Is there anything else we can do or is there anything wrong?

It sounds to me that your baby has colic syndrome. Some babies are colic in the first few months of life and it is more disturbing to the parents than it is a problem. These babies are healthy and grow to be just fine. It usually goes away by itself around 4 months of age. Here is a link explaining more about colic babies.

However, before we just assume your baby is colic I would get him examined by her pediatrician. Sometimes they can be sick from the formula and need a special type. I have seen babies that were thought to be colic when in actually the formula was burning their stomach. This went on for months until the mother demanded a thorough check up which keep in mind the baby was checked before. Upon the thorough check up where tests where ran is when they discovered the horror. He them needed special formula and the crying stopped. So I would encourage you to surely make sure she is fully checked and presumed healthy. It is then when you know she is healthy, diaper changed, fed and burped, but continues to cry that is has to be due to colic and just needs to run its course.

Congratulations on your new baby and hope everything gets better. Enjoy her as she grows and I wish you all the best. Let me know if I can be of further help.