Jen Helant
Jen Helant, Child Care
Experience:  I have my bachelors degree in psychology. I worked with children. Since then I have raised and still raising 3 wonderful boys.
13551071

I have a 4 year old daughter. I am 39 years old. Can you please

I have a 4 year old daughter. I am 39 years old. Can you please recommend some simple in home ways i can engage with her. Just looking for some ideas on how to be more involved. What things can one talk about to a 4 year old and how. Right now i read books to her and she enjoys building a train track with me etc. can you please list put 5 to 10 ideas if possible

Reading books to her is very good as well as building the train together. Here are some other ideas of things you can do together.

1. Put some children's music on that she likes and have a dance party together. Just singing and dancing together having a good time.

2. Building puzzles together

3. Singing nursery rhymes together

4. PLaying a board game such as candy land, chutes and ladders, and matching games.

5. Playing imaginary games such as making believe you don't see her and pretending to look for her. This could make her laugh and cause her to hide. Then you find her and tickle her. My son loves this! He created it by hiding.

6. Have a tea party with her and her stuffed animals or some other pretend games.

7. Teaching her things like letter sounds, numbers, and etc

8. Playing any toys together that she may have

9. Going to the park together and playing actively with her not just watching.

10. Playing with her while she is taking a bubble bath. Put funny hairstyles in her hair while its soapy and make beards making believe you are santa. Pretend to be him. Bring some cups or bath toys to play with the bubbles. Little simple things can help create bonds.

11.Playing catch outside together.

12. Taking pictures together and making funny faces then looking at them together.

Anything you do with her remember to have patience and enjoy every moment. In our busy lives sometimes it is difficult to stop and enjoy our children, but we can in anything we do. Sometimes engaging with our child does not need to be only by doing special activities. Just doing everyday things can help strengthen our bond with them. In every moment we need to listen to our children and make eye contact. Talk with them and try to teach them when we get the opportunity just by doing basic things as taking a walk. While we talk a walk we can teach them by asking them colors or to find something. Talk to her while you are doing things such as cooking let her know what you are doing and even have her help you with some things that are safe. Even with cleaning have her help with a small broom or a cleaning rag. Explain why we clean. This creates conversation as she will ask questions and it teaches at the same time. Asking her what she enjoys and why. Asking her questions such as what is her favorite show, toy, color, and etc. This helps spark conversation and will help her to talk with you then you continue from there. It will also help you to get on to her level and this also will help bring you both closer. I wish you well and please let me know if I can help further.