Jen Helant
Jen Helant, Child Care
Experience:  I have my bachelors degree in psychology. I worked with children. Since then I have raised and still raising 3 wonderful boys.

How should a person approach a couple who is verbally abusing

How should a person approach a couple who is verbally abusing their 2 year child. My son lives in an apartment building that has a children's photography business in the front part. He can hear them verbally abusing their 2 year old child. Using profane language, yelling at the child and telling that child to shut up. My son is very concerned about this child and wants to approach the parents. How should he go about doing this without putting the child in jeopardy or himself. Please send your reply [email protected]

Thank you

I am sorry, but I can not email you my answer separately as we can not seen your email on this site.

I do not think it would be a good idea for your son to approach them. It is very sad and unfortunate. However, I think no matter how he says it they will take offense to it and would feel upset that you he is prying in their business.

I think the best thing would be is to contact child protective services anonymously. If you feel their is abuse then that is the best thing to do. This way they can do an investigation.

Another option was if he your son has a child the same age maybe he can ask to make a play date and therefore the child would have some positive influence. Also, he would get to know the parents and maybe as he befriends them would have more influence of them. They can then see by the way he acts and then maybe he can mention it to them in a friendly concerning way.

I wish you all well and please let me know if I can be of further help.