Ask Eleanor
Ask Eleanor, Family Counselor
Experience:  Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist & Professional Counselor with 15 years of clinical experience
57558633

yes is it true that if you do not make your kids listen to

yes is it true that if you do not make your kids listen to you and do what they are told when they are younger that as they get older it will get harder and harder and they will have problems complying with what parents tell them to do?? also when kids under 6 years old don't listen is it wrong of a parent to send them to their rooms for 1-2 hours?? is there a said limit on the amount of time that a certain aged child can be put in their room for?? and when one parent undermines the other over and over again does it cause the kids to think that they can just run to one parent and lie to get what they want despite what the other adult in the house has to say
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Ask Eleanor replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am a Marriage and Family Therapist who has been working with parents and children for 20 years. I will take your questions one at a time. Yes, discipline must be established when children are young or it will be very difficult as they get older and older. Sending a child to their room for more than an hour when they are under six is unwise. There is no set time per age that a child should be sent to their room. Finally and THE MOST IMPORTANT ANSWER: PARENTS MUST BE ON THE SAME PAGE AND CONSISTENT WITH THEIR DISCIPLINE OR THE CHILDREN WILL RUN ALL OVER THEM. It is therefore extremely important for you and your spouse to agree regarding disciplining your children. I believe that you would find a few sessions with a family therapist would be very beneficial in arriving at mutually agreed upon discipline. I would refrain from spanking as it is not effective and will only distance your children from you. I hope my response is helpful. Chat back if you have any questions and I will reply. If you are satisfied with my answer, please submit a positive rating. Thank you and take care, Eleanor

Ask Eleanor, Family Counselor
Experience: Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist & Professional Counselor with 15 years of clinical experience