Ryan LCSW, Family Counselor
Experience:  Master degree and Licensed Social Worker.

If a child is the ONLY child in a household and has no playmate

If a child is the ONLY child in a household and has no playmate seeing that he/she has no siblings, do the chances of his/her desire for friends and passion to play skyrocket tremendously? Thank you for your assistance.
Thanks for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd like to help you out.

If a child is the only child in the household and does not have anyone of similar age to play with, it is certainly possible that the desire for friends and the passion to play will start to skyrocket, especially as they get older. Most kids (and even adults) require peer to peer interaction in order to be properly socialized and also just to have that feeling of connectedness to other people. While is it possible for an only child to get this from their parents, as they get more and more mature it will continue to be increasingly important for age appropriate social interaction to take place on a regular basis. If these needs are not met, it is possible that the child will actually start to become disruptive and troublesome in an attempt to get the attention that they are looking for in a different way.

I hope I've been able to answer your question. If there's anything else I can do to help please let me know.