How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Dr. D. Brown Your Own Question

Dr. D. Brown
Dr. D. Brown, Psychologist
Category: Parenting
Satisfied Customers: 17
Experience:  21 Years as Psychotherapist & Successful Parent
Type Your Parenting Question Here...
Dr. D. Brown is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Strained mother/teenage daughter relationship. How do i best

This answer was rated:

Strained mother/teenage daughter relationship. How do i best go around this. Family theraphy for mother and daughter? Some kind of counselling? Other? Group sessions with others? Or just leave issue alone? It becomes difficult because she says she wants to move to dad bec she is unhappy with mom. For a number of reasons i strongly oppose that. But it is crucial for me to get closer with my teenage daughter so that she herself agrees it is best for to stay put. Something has to change, we need to learn to communicate better. Her dad supports her in moving and i fear expensive courtcase. I need her and i back on track, how do i go about it? And can what we experience in such sessons be used in court? Could be negative for me if all she says is that she s unhappy with me. Thank you

Dr. D. Brown :

Hello Friend. Let me take a moment to review your question.

Dr. D. Brown :

If I understand correctly, you are having some difficulties with your relationship with your daughter and you are a single mom. It can be a difficult time when your daughter becomes a teenager because they are typically pushing mom away one day, then needing you the next. It can be very confusing, not to mention the hormonal fluctuations that occur and brain changes in the teenage brain.

Dr. D. Brown :

I understand that it may feel scary to lose her to Dad and to a long court case. You sound like you really want whats best for her and you are a good mom. I would definitely start with therapy between you and your daughter. Find a therapist who specializes in adolescents, and make an appointment for you and your daughter to come in.

Dr. D. Brown :

With a good therapist, they should talk to you both together, and then let your daughter have alone time with him/her. That way, she will have a safe place to talk about her feelings, and the two of you will have an objective person to mediate the conflicts between you. If you later need to bring in Dad, you can, but I would start with the two of you.

Dr. D. Brown :

I hope this helps. As I said, you sound like a good, caring mom who wants a good relationship with your daughter, which is great! Keep up the good work, and let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.

Dr. D. Brown :

Take good care, Dr. Brown

Dr. D. Brown and other Parenting Specialists are ready to help you

Related Parenting Questions