How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask empathy-reborn Your Own Question

empathy-reborn, Child Care
Category: Parenting
Satisfied Customers: 11
Experience:  L3 in CCLD. Acted as a SENCo. Voluntary Exp with Young People of all ages
Type Your Parenting Question Here...
empathy-reborn is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Im in a stressful marriage with a SAHM and I adopted her son

Customer Question

I'm in a stressful marriage with a SAHM and I adopted her son who is now 7 and I have a D2 and D due in April. My wife kissed daughter's nose at the dinner table. My son made a suggestion that mommy kissed his boy parts at some time. Mommy told him he shouldn't say something like that. I later asked him about it and he said he had never been kissed. He has made other comments at dinner before about mom throwing stuff at him for instance. I fear my wife has boundary issues with both of our children. Especially Son. Should I just wait and see or seek professional advice or how do I proceed.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Dr. D. Brown replied 2 years ago.

Dr. D. Brown :

Hello. Please let me take a moment to review your question. Thank you

Dr. D. Brown :

I can completely understand how you might be concerned about boundaries with your wife and children. It is a frightening thought to think that she may be being inappropriate with your son or daughter sexually or in an aggressive manner (eg. throwing things). These are potentially very serious issues, but you need more information. I would suggest that you ask your son, alone, if mom ever did anything, like touch him or throw things, and then asked him not to tell. Ask, "Did she tell you you would be in trouble if you told me or an adult?" This is very common if a parent is, in fact, abusing a child. The child then becomes very afraid of being punished, and usually "takes it back" due to fear.

Dr. D. Brown :

I was a little unclear, but is your daughter 2 years old? If so, she will obviously not be able to speak about anything happening, but both of your children would might "act out" the potential abuse by acting in a sexual manner in their play or at school, or by getting aggressive themselves. Have you seen any of this happen? I would talk to your son's teacher and see how his behavior has been at school. Usually the behavior is a reliable clue that something is going on.

Dr. D. Brown :

If you talk to your son, and he adamantly says "no" to any abuse, then I would just watch the behavior closely, and at the first sign of acting out (which also could include having trouble at school, getting agitated, unruly, morose...), I would seek professional help. You can always call Child Protective Services and tell them you are confused (you can do it anonymously) and ask them to help you assess the situation.

Dr. D. Brown :

I hope this has answered your question. You are a good father to be so "in tune" with your kids, and to want to protect them. But, I wouldn't jump to conclusions quite yet, until you do a bit more research. Call CPS or even call a child psychologist in your area, and discuss your concerns. Observe carefully and finally, do a "gut check" with yourself. If your gut says it's happening, I would take action. Remind your son that you are there to protect him, no matter what, and that he can trust you.

Dr. D. Brown :

Please let me know if there is anything more I can help you with. I always appreciate a positive rating if you feel I have satisfactorily answered your question. Take good care and keep your eyes open. Thank you for the opportunity to be of service.

Dr. D. Brown :

Thanks again, Dr. Brown

JACUSTOMER-6td8ka71- :

I haven't jumped to conclusions. I don't want my feelings that my wife likely suffers from BPD to result in me starting some false allegations but my gut is my wife has poor impulse control. I also don't want to ignore red flags. Maybe I will briefly contact the forensic psychologist I consulted two years ago. Thanks

Expert:  empathy-reborn replied 2 years ago.
In my experience as a childcare practitioner, one can never be too careful. When I child makes a disclosure as such as this one it needs to be dealt with in a manner that is positive for the child. My best suggestion is to talk to the child in normal conversation. If such a disclosure is made again you need to write down everything the child has said and write a date and time and sign it. Then you need to reassure the child that it cannot remain a secret but let them know that they are not in trouble and they have done the right thing. Next you need to contact the appropriate authorities ie police and ask them what they suggest you do. Should you have any more questions feel free to ask me personally.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther Woodstock, NY
  • Thank you so much for taking your time and knowledge to support my concerns. Not only did you answer my questions, you even took it a step further with replying with more pertinent information I needed to know. Robin Elkton, Maryland
  • He answered my question promptly and gave me accurate, detailed information. If all of your experts are half as good, you have a great thing going here. Diane Dallas, TX

Meet The Experts:

  • Rafael M.T.Therapist

    Family Counselor

    Satisfied Customers:

    MHT-MHRS-MS-MA Integral Psychotherapist & Life Coach
< Last | Next >
  • Rafael M.T.Therapist's Avatar

    Rafael M.T.Therapist

    Family Counselor

    Satisfied Customers:

    MHT-MHRS-MS-MA Integral Psychotherapist & Life Coach
  • Jennifer's Avatar


    School Psychologist

    Satisfied Customers:

    Collaborative parent consultation on everything from modifying behavior to child development.
  • professional_Alison's Avatar


    Child Care

    Satisfied Customers:

    Degree in early years,16 years experience in childcare
  • Cher's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Extensive Experience working with Children/Teens; M.A. Teacher/Tutor 40+ yrs.; Parent of 2
  • Dr. L's Avatar

    Dr. L


    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed as psychologist and marriage and family therapist
  • Alicia_MSW's Avatar


    Family Counselor

    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed social worker and psychotherapist
  • NormanM's Avatar


    Author, lecturer and psychotherapist.

    Satisfied Customers:

    ADHP(NC), DHP, ECP, UKCP Registered