earthsister, Parent
Experience:  Home Child Care Provider, and mother of 4; two pre-teen boys and twin baby girls.

My 3 year old son has been very very very picky with food,

My 3 year old son has been very very very picky with food, for about a year. He throws tantrums and refuses to eat or try new foods. I don't want him to go hungry, because I read force feeding or sending a child to bed could cause eating problems as they grow up and possible disorders. I have three kids, and the other two went threw phases, but this one has lasted a long time. What do I do?
Hello, I would like to help with your picky eater. I can relate to this first-hand, I was/still am a picky eater, I also have a 12 year old who is still a picky eater, and two twin picky eating 2 year old girls.Punishment does not work, you can't starve him, and bribing will eventually lead to him not trusting you once he figures out he's being bribed. Be patient with your picky eater, he's still young. Use his siblings as weapons to help. When you all are eating a food that he refuses, sit together, everyone else easting the food, and make all the "hmmm", and "yumm" sounds that you can, to show him how good it is. Keep trying to present new foods in small portions, along with his favorites, but don't force the issue, or get mad when he refuses; that makes it even more difficult. Even try to have fun with the food; use foods to make pictures or crafts (edible ones of course) As long as he is consuming something from all of the major food groups, even if it is the same thing everyday, he will be healthy and fine. Here's a few links to books about picky eating:

Please let me know if you need further ideas on this issue.