Jen Helant
Jen Helant, Child Care
Experience:  I have my bachelors degree in psychology. I worked with children. Since then I have raised and still raising 3 wonderful boys.
13551071

I have a 7yrs and 6mths old son who has an IQ of a 10 year

I have a 7yrs and 6mths old son who has an IQ of a 10 year old child but has a maturity of a 5 years old. He is the youngest and is similiar to the lady with the 7yrs old child, have spent the last 4 years getting my son to learn the important of playing with other child of his age and interacting with them on a social level. Suddenly he has learnt the enjoyment of playing either by himself or with other children but as a result is losing interest with his school work because he just wants to play all the time. When ever asked or told to do something that he does not want, he either starts crying, shouting, blaming others for his actions (when they have done nothing, usually just getting on with their work) and refuses to work or do as he is told. His older brother who is 10 years old is the total opporsite, very socialable and well liked by others. My youngest son has behaved like this since starting school, help, what can I do?

It seems as though since he was unable to experience this before he may be overwhelmed with the joy it has brought him. He is happy and enjoying it and this is why he reacts as he does when he needs to do other things. He needs to now learn that he can have both and life is balanced. It sounds like you are doing all the right things. He is a very smart boy, so I bet he will learn very quickly. I would encourage you to do the same thing that you are doing and give it time. Also, explain how there is a time for everything just as there is a place for everything. We can not scream at home, but we can scream, at the park. Also, we can not play all the time, but we can do our work then play as well. As you continue to teach him and do as you are he will learn and understand. It is good that he has learned now what you have been teaching him and just as he has learned to play he will also learn the balance. It may not be overnight, but in time with your consistency he will.

Try and stay positive everything will come into place. Please let me know if I can help further and I wish you all the best.