Jen Helant
Jen Helant, Child Care
Experience:  I have my bachelors degree in psychology. I worked with children. Since then I have raised and still raising 3 wonderful boys.

How can I encourage my 10 yr old boy to study?

It is difficult to get a child to study when they are unwilling. However, it is still best we do our part and never give up. Let him know the benefits if studying to give him an incentive. Sometimes when children see the natural benefits of studying and doing well they end up enjoying the fact they do well and get positive responses from parents, teachers, and etc. This alone motivates them to want to do it more, but sometimes starting is the problem.

I would set a certain amount of time either everyday or few days a week depending on what you decided for study time. For example if it is a half hour 4 days a week them he will have that specific time to go and study. He would not be allowed to play until that is complete. If he says he will do it after play I would not recommend that since then he has already done what he enjoyed. However, if it is a weekend them it would be fine to even be in the middle of the day between other activities. Make sure he has a quiet spot to study with all necessary tools like pencils and etc at hand. Some children are not sure how to study or where to start, so maybe you can ask the teachers for some extra work sheets or study guides in any area he is lacking. Also, when you have time you may want to consider taking some time to help him in any way yo can by testing him or giving him a quiz even making a fun game out of studying like letting him test you or etc. There are also some good study sites online they make studying fun that he can access. Maybe your child's teacher or school would be aware of the sites as they may have specific ones they recommend.

I wish you well and please let me know if i can be of further help. f