Jen Helant
Jen Helant, Child Care
Experience:  I have my bachelors degree in psychology. I worked with children. Since then I have raised and still raising 3 wonderful boys.
13551071

When I send him time out in his bedroom he acts that it doesn

Customer Question

When I send him time out in his bedroom he acts that it doesn t boder him, should I change the punishment?the prob is that I don t know what else should I give him as punishment.thanks a lot.
Sylvana Vella
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Jen Helant replied 3 years ago.
Hi

I would not recommend sending him to his room since is room should be a comfortable place and not a place of punishment. Also, there may be fun stuff in his room that he would enjoy even if it is his bed to lay down in. Punishment really depends on what he does. It can be a time out standing in the corner, no TV for the day or week, no games or toys, or no play dates like you mentioned, and etc. It really depends how severe his misbehavior was. However, something to think about would be is if the punishment is working. Sometimes children do not care if you take the TV away because they have their games system to play for example. So now days with all these gadgets and ,Amy things to do sometimes their punishment does need to be no playing or watching TV at all for a certain amount of time. Just as well no play date on Friday or not being allowed to play outside for a day or two. I would try one of these because his room doesn't bother him because he enjoys it therefore it won't be an effective punishment since he is enjoying then reason he is getting punished and also enjoying the punishment.

Please let me know if I can be of further help Andi wish you the very best.