Jen Helant
Jen Helant, Child Care
Experience:  I have my bachelors degree in psychology. I worked with children. Since then I have raised and still raising 3 wonderful boys.

Hi there, how can I make one of my 2 year old twins take back

Hi there, how can I make one of my 2 year old twins take back the toys his brother always take from him, instead of crying sadly and angrily. He never fights back and I don't want him to get an inferior complex. Should I intervene?

Also, how do I get them to brush their teeth - any tips?

At 2 years old they are still so very young they do not fully understand the idea of sharing. At that age it is still a lot of parallel play, which is they are playing with each other, but not necessarily together and this is why they may take from one another. At this age they are starting to actually start playing with one another as well, but still doing a lot of the parallel play. I would not encourage him to take it at this point, but would encourage his sister to share. As he gets older with children on the outside you may need to teach him to be a little assertive and not allow people to take or for him to take it back from them, but you also want to instill sharing in him as well. He is very young still, so I would not worry to much about it, but I would just keep an eye out for it with outside children to see if you need to intervene and teach him little by little as situations arise. Getting back to his sister there really is no reason for him to snatch it from her. You can nicely take the toy from her and say something like your brother was playing with that we need to share together and give it back to him while you do that. This way they will both be learning from your actions. Your daughter will be learning to share and he will also see that you are taking it back and learn that's what he would need to do in those situations. You may have to do this a lot, but in time they will both learn. It will come naturally as they see you and you tell them. It sometimes takes time as they are so little still.

About brushing teeth some kids love it at that age, some hate it, and some make a joke out of it. The key is being persistent because there will be a days that they will give no trouble. When my son was two he gave trouble with that as well then at 3 he was out if it. Some tips would be to let them brush your teeth. Make a game out of it they tend to get a kick out of it. You brush theirs and they brush yours. It can be done simultaneously or they do yours first then you do theirs. Whatever works best. Also, a good thing would be to bring them to the dentist and explain why we need to take care of our teeth. This can influence them since they would be afraid to get a needle at the dentist for not brushing their teeth. My child's dentist said you need to brush, so you don't get candy buggies. So I say we need to brush the candy buggies out.

I wish you all the best and please let me know if I can be of further help.