Jen Helant
Jen Helant, Child Care
Experience:  I have my bachelors degree in psychology. I worked with children. Since then I have raised and still raising 3 wonderful boys.

College Admission: My step-son is one month shy of being 17.

Customer Question

College Admission: My step-son is one month shy of being 17. He is a junior. He has Bs and Cs in school though does take a couple of classes are AP classes. He has played one season of football and one season of volleyball. He has no extracurricular activites and has never held a job. He does go to a performing arts school with an interest in graphics arts/photography. From my uneducated eye, his work is pretty good. He got average scores on the PSAT despite the fact that we paid for online SAT course access but he "didn't like the format" so he didn't bother with it.

His parents have saved $0 for college. Even if he started working now he will be short on money to live and pay for college. His father and I make too much money for him to qualify for financial aid. His parents seem to think things are magically going to fall into place when it comes time for college.

Is there someone out there that can give a realistic outside opinion on his likelihood to get into college? Thanks!
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Jen Helant replied 3 years ago.

It really depends on what he wants to do. He should do something that is affordable, that he likes, and is able to get into. He seems like a good student and is best for him to figure out what he wants to do.

Searching online for different careers, the time it takes to get it done, as well as what it takes and the costs involved. This way he will know everything involved and can make a plan from there. Some programs are more rigid then others while others a more lenient.

He can also work part time and go to school as well as apply for student loans. Anything is possible with the drive and motivation as well as a good plan. With all this being said I think he has a excellent chance of his likelihood of getting into a college. He just needs to be able to choose the best one that works for him and the future he desires.

I wish you all the best and please let me know if I can be of further help.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you. The problem I see is that there is no motivation, no plan and since the kids been handed everything to him his entire life there is no sense of having to work for anything. We are motivating him to get a job because unless he gets a free ride to college (which I doubt will happen based on grades) he should be prepared to work and it wouldn't be ideal if his first experience working is when he is going to college at the same time IMHO. Thanks for your help.
You are exactly right and I agree 100%. That is a big problem with a lot of kids. When everything is handed to them they do not feel the need to work to get the things they need. Unfortunately if he has no motivation of course you all can try to be there for him to encourage and support him, but ultimately it is him that needs to have the drive to do it. Sometimes it takes not helping financially in order for the child to learn and grow up. The term "learning the hard way" is really true. There are times that the only way they learn and grow is from their mistakes and going through tough times or even losing times. We know how life is, so we try to prevent that, but sometimes it is impossible and they need to just go through it to appreciate. I know its difficult, but I would still encourage you to do your part while also trying to teach him the consequences. That is all you can do.