Dr. Paige
Dr. Paige, Psychologist
Experience:  Psychologist; Parent
15718554

I have a 2 year old girl and I am a single mom. My question

I have a 2 year old girl and I am a single mom. My question is I am trying to potty train her..Sometimes she asked for the potty, and cry's when I refuse to open the door. Sometimes she goes in her diaper or training pants without saying a word. How do I her to maintain her potty training by reinforcing her to continue to ask for the potty. There where she cried when was in her crib and suppose to be naping, when I finally went in the room to check on her she remove her diaper and threw it over the crib and lied there looking up at me, and another time before bed time she remove her diaper and pointed to the wetr spot on the bed and hand me her dirty diaper. How do I get this under control and get her to ask for the potty consisentely?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Dr. Paige replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Potty training has many different methods available and you need to experiment sometimes to find the right one that works for you and your daughter. I method that worked for me personally with my daughter is having a training potty in the room where we spent most of the time, so it is right there, available at all times. This in itself can make life easier during the day. Some people also use the naked baby approach and have had success in a few days, even though it can be a bit messy. It requires 100% observation at all times to minimize messes. Allowing the child to hang out naked, with the potty in the room makes the situation a lot easier.
As far as night time, most parents will continue to use night diapers until the day time potty use has advanced quite a bit. Having her wear PJs where she can't get to her diaper to remove it may help as well. Don't sweat the night time problems yet, it can take awhile to get them to be able to hold it throughout the night. Minimize liquids close to bed time as well. Don't worry, she will get it. Making sure she is comfortable is the main thing. It will happen.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did try the potty training in the past by placing the potty in the living room, but she would see it and turning the potty over. So I removed the potty and put it back in the bathroom. I even put trainig paints on her but she still continued to go inside the training paints as well. As far as liquids are concern I try not to gave her a drink after 8 pm bedtime is for 9 pm.

Expert:  Dr. Paige replied 1 year ago.
I let my daughter play with the potty a little bit, taking it apart and turning it over so she was comfortable with it. If you allow her to be naked, it is uncomfortable for her to make a mess, so maybe try that method. It's the "3 day method" which a lot of parents swear by. Again, you have to be very diligent in watching her, setting aside a few days at home where you have no plans to go anywhere to disrupt the training. She may also not be 100% ready for potty training, which is perfectly normal. Try not to get frustrated by this, as they all learn in their own time. She knows what the potty is for and that is a good first step.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

In the 3 day method, how long do I allow her to be naked? Is all day or just a few hours? Will she have to be totally naked or just bottoms off?

Expert:  Dr. Paige replied 1 year ago.
Bottoms off is fine. You can start with it being all the time. Use set times for sitting on the potty at first. If you have a timer of some sort, set it for every 15-20 minutes. Tell her, we are going to go sit on the potty. Sit there for 3-4 minutes and have her try to do something. You should get the idea that she obviously will have to pee a little bit after drinking and she may or may not have normal poop times of the day. It sounds as though she has given you some verbal cues when she has to go, so use those as well. If you want to see some real world examples of this method, Google 3 day potty training method and you should get some variations of how other mothers have used this. Not every way works for everyone, you may have to tweak it a bit to work for you and your daughter.
Dr. Paige, Psychologist
Experience: Psychologist; Parent