Bonnie, Psychologist
Experience:  and pediatric nurse practitioner with 30 years of experience counseling parents.

If parents never expected a pregnancy to occur and dont get

If parents never expected a pregnancy to occur and don't get an abortion due to religious reasons nor do they give the baby up for adoption because of pride and because what would their families and friends think, etc. Are the chances very high that the parents will most likely NOT teach, correct, and discipline this child like they did to the children that they did intend to have? Are the chances very high for the parents to look at this child and treat this child as just an obligation only?
Hello again and thank you for requesting me,

Yes. the chances would be higher for different treatment of unplanned child than planned children. Here's why....

Response to unplanned pregnancy varies and depends upon different variables. It is more likely that parents of children who were not planned may have an unconscious resentment of the child especially if they are in financial hardship. This might be seen right at birth in the form of a distant attachment and poor bonding. Poor attachment is generally seen in parents who are unresponsive to child's needs. For instance, they may not notice when there child is sad or scared and may not provide the necessary emotional support. They may not have the energy for the discipline a child requires.

In the scenario that you describe, I can think of another cause for lack of discipline.... that is, feeling guilty about their negative feelings about the child and overcompensating for these thoughts by being too permissive.

I hope this helps with your wondering about this.....

Warm regards