earthsister, Parent
Experience:  Home Child Care Provider, and mother of 4; two pre-teen boys and twin baby girls.

I just found out my 9 year old son was looking up videos on

I just found out my 9 year old son was looking up videos on Youtube with keywords such as boobs and vagina. I realize there is nothing really rated x on Youtube. There are x-rated sounding titles but the corresponding video is censored so at least i know he has not seen anything hardcore porn like.

My question is what do i do now? I have yet to drop the hammer and tell him i know he has been doing this because i am unsure how to. I do not want to embarrass him and lord knows i did similar things albeit i was a little older and there was no internet so it was much safer. I do want to punish him for sneaking that stuff on my computer but need advice on how to do that without scaring him for life.

earthsister :

Hello, I would like to help with your question today.

earthsister :

I agree with you that this is perfectly normal, and it seems that we all did something similar to this at some time or another near that age in our lives; I think that this is most important to remember when you approach him about it. Even be honest with him and let him know that (you had similar experiences as a child), so that he does not feel that he is strange or doing something detrimentally wrong. Also explain to him how much more extreme sexual content and access to it has become compared to when you were a child. I do recommend that you let him know that you know about it; perhaps this alone will discourage him from doing it again. Don't punish him, and do let him know that you will be monitoring his computer use, and you want to trust him. On the light-hearted side, assure him that he will be an adult before he knows it, and he will have the right to look at all the adult rated content that he wants then (just not to let you know about it): I hope this helps. Let me know if you need other ideas or advice. Thanks.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you! You greatly lowered my stress level about this. Seems even i needed someone to tell me that this is normal behavior and that im not doing something wrong while raising my son. Im a single dad so i sometimes miss having backup on issues like this. I like your suggested approach and will probably follow it to a T.