Bonnie
Bonnie, Psychologist
Experience:  and pediatric nurse practitioner with 30 years of experience counseling parents.
37122071

I think this is a general question. Although my niece got

I think this is a general question.

Although my niece got very good grades and passed everything, she still did not get accepted for Speech Pathology School. Consequently, my niece is very, very sad. She really wanted to major in Speech Pathology more than anything else in the world. I always try to encourage my niece and lift her up whenever she is down. But I don't know what to say or do in this situation. Can you please give me any ideas on how I can encourage and lift my niece up in this situation? Thank you for your assistance.
Hello and thank you for consulting JA,

I am sorry about your nieces situation.
You can help by talking with her about 2 things:

1. By giving her ways to think about this that will relieve her depressed mood about it. For instance, she is still a good person and a good student. The reason for the non-acceptance is too many applicants and too few slots. It is not about her ability. She can try again or pick a school with more slots or lower pre-requisites (i.e., a state school). She does not need to let go of her goal.

2. Then, you can help her decide plans for the next year. Maybe she can get a job or volunteer as an aide in a program that employs speech therapists (nursing homes or school).

3. Sometimes, though, just being there is enough and not saying anything. Take her to a movie.

I hope this helps....
Thank you for the rating and bonus!!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Your welcome. You give outstanding and excellent service.

Glad to help out...ask for me again sometime.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you.

The system does not allow me to answer anymore questions until I reply to you. So have a nice day and do not reply back to me. Thanks.... LOL